Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SOA sammy has terrible steering! I have attached a few pics so everyone can see the geometry of the current set up, and because a picture is indeed worth 1000 words.

I do have power steering which works well to move my 31's but I also have a lot of play in the wheel. Not a large amount of bump steer but the steering is what I would call 'vague'. There are times where the wheels seem to move where the steering wheel points and others where it seems turning the wheel does little or nothing.

Based on the pics and my awesome description above where do you guys think may be a good starting point to gain back a more active steer feeling. I can and do cope with the current set up (and I only drive the sammy...a third car, about 100 miles a month).

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at a few high steer type step ups, I cant help but wonder if a drop pitman arm might help correct some of the steering issues. When I look at my geometry it is by no means even (drag link to tie rod) and I know this can cause all kinds of interesting joint stress etc. Just thinking out loud!

·
Registered
278 Posts
You are a poster child for the High steer conversion.
Your drag link angle is off. Needs to be parallel to the tie rod. Or as much as possible.
If when the SPOA was installed the axle was rotated, your caster angle will be off which will make it wander like A BLIND MAN WITHOUT A CANE.
Correct this with wedges bolted into the spring pack.
You want 3.5 - 4 degrees of neg. caster.
And of course check the ball joints and steering box mounts, king pins and wheel bearings....

.....Boxcar.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boxer,

Thank you for the feedback. You affirmed my assumption. I ran jeeps with similar drag link set ups for a long time but I always forget that these cars are smaller in every way leaving any similarities to be amplified on the samurai side of the comparison.

I know a high steer conversion is the way to go. I was considering just getting a drop pitman arm, but after seeing very comprehensive kits for 3-400 bucks it may be worth doing.

As much fun as almost dying every time I drive the samurai is...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking outloud but I think the real challenge here will be to find a suitable drop pitman arm that is essentially a sidekick to samurai arm. I forgot to mention that in my PS conversion I now run a sidekick box.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Depending on your age or upper body strength.
My power steering leaves me almost rested.
My 5 cents......Would go there if possible.
But as ^^ says, get the horizontals as parallel as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At box's suggestion I ordered a high steer kit from Sky manufacturing. I was getting a little to used to unsafe driving. Ill post pics when it lands in a few days!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts