1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am looking to trade a gas powered golf cart I have:

for this Samurai:
86 samurai tin top <---Click

in the next few days. I will be going to see/trade for it next Tuesday or Wednesday. I hoped that you could look it over and see if any issues stand out. Also, tell me what common issues to look for during the test drive. The owner said that the previous owner had the engine rebuilt. It has no issues and said that it runs better than his other Samurai that is lifted and such whatnot. He said the previous owner was restoring it and had planned to lift the Samurai. He removed the carpet and somehow misplaced the passenger seat mounting bracket. He said the rear bumper had been installed since the pictures and he just needed to bolt in the lenses. The front bumper is missing. He claims it is rust free. The A/C is missing the condenser and compressor. It has been spray-painted. Where do these tin-tops rust most commonly? Thank you in advance. I hope to be an active poster full of more specific questions soon haha. I'll post any more pictures or information as they come.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply! Does the roof rust around the edges like on Scouts? The reason I ask, is that if you look at the picture of the rear along the top seam there seems to be some color distortion. I'm not sure if its a bad spray-paint error or a bondo job. I just noticed...I think it has a sunroof? Is that common? I'm pretty excited. What's better is that I literally found (reported found to local LE and cleared) the golf cart I'm trading parked next to a dumpster. So, in essence, this will be a free Samurai. :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Does it run?
Does it smoke?
What color smoke? (black - oil blowby, white - fuel or steam)
Look for oil leaks.
Is there clatter from the head? (valves)

Typical stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think rust is your problem on this sammy. I work at a body shop and from the pics it looks like they spray painted it to cover up the rust spots, if you look at the pic of the back door you can see rust around the glass. I am a little concerned about how it says not 4x4 beaten, so where is the rear bumper if it was so well taken care of, so just be aware that people do use spray paint to hide rust, I hope it is all good, they are fun to drive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I talked to the guy for a good while today. I got him to inspect it for rust and snap pictures of anything he found. He said the only rust he could find was in the passenger floorboard. He said it looks like the sun roof had a leak due to the previous owner using silicone to seal it. I am guessing the water caused rust overtime. I noticed the brown around the back glass as well...I would think that rust bad enough to flake like that would be too severe to cover with a coat of paint. Also, if you look extremely close, the brown / orange is only around the edges and I think the back glass has lines across it. I believe it's a rear defogger. I asked him to inspect the rocker panels in particular being they have been covered. He said they seemed solid. I talked to him for a good while. Seemed like an honest guy and has bent over backwards for me so far. I'm supposed to go meet him tomorrow when I get off work at 3pm (central). Here's hoping I don't find a pile of rust. Here are the pictures he sent me:

Passenger floorboard above:

Passenger floorboard belox:

Let me know ASAP if any red flags jump out at you. Thanks all!

P.S. Are either of those the original seat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a few other places where there is some light rust. Nothing too substantial. The sunroof is sealed shut with silicone. I believe it was leaking at one point and that's what happened to the passenger floorboard. All the important mechanical stuff works excellently. The compressor and condenser are missing from the A/C. Also, the temperature blender doesn't seem to be operational...or the heater core isn't hooked up as the heat does not work. The steering is extremely sloppy. The seats don't match and neither are mounted correctly. The hood latch cable doesn't work so I have to fiddle with it through the grille to pop it. All simple stuff, looking forward to fixing each.

TODAY I installed an air filter (not replaced) and replaced the valve cover gasket as it had a leak. The previous owner apparently decided to fix a leak with silicone instead of replacing the gasket. Terrible idea. While doing so, I discovered that a bolt holding on the alternator was finger tight at best. Glad I caught that... After that I decided to be very sure the 4x4 worked properly. I put the transfer case into 4wd, crawled underneath, and tried to turn the front drive shaft. It was locked in...however all the bolts retaining the transfer case were also finger tight. *:eek: I could rotate the entire transfer case about 20 degrees. Thank God I made my 4 hour trek in this thing when I was driving it home (with no air filter). Anyhow, I tightened them down, checked every other bolt I could find, and called it a day. *8)

I had a few questions:

-Are my rims stock?
-Are either of my seats factory? If not, what are they out of?
-My speedometer makes a squeak sound when moving. Is this common? Will WD-40 fix it if I can get back there?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the little guy for a spin around in a field today to see if he ran any different with the air filter on. Turns out he does. It idled fine all the time, however, after some time driving, it began to flood (I think). As soon as the gas was blipped, the engine instantly bogged down. If the gas was held down, the engine would die. After quite a few experiments and discovering that the vacuum system has a few disconnected hoses, it was doing the same exact thing. I gave up and decided to do it the old "pour a bottle of X in it and see what happens" method. I bought a bottle of Berryman's B-12 and flooded the carb until it stopped running. I waited a few minutes and cranked it until it started. I repeated, then took it out for a test drive. All systems go. I presume that my quest without an air filter to get it home got something stuck in the wrong position. Here's hoping it doesn't return.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
-Are my rims stock?
-Are either of my seats factory? If not, what are they out of?
-My speedometer makes a squeak sound when moving. Is this common? Will WD-40 fix it if I can get back there?
Rims - They look stock, but I have also seen aftermarket rims that are the same pattern. Check the rim width. Stock is 5.5" while most aftermarket rims like that start at 7" wide.

Seats - They are factory, but not for a Samurai... :p

Speedo - I prefer using graphite, but WD-40 will work in a pinch.

Great buy. Good luck building it up to your specs. Your gonna love it more than you expect...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Oh, and check out the carb tube fix that Suzuki came out with... it will help your carb when you find the dead spot higher up in the RPM's... easy install.

(from Petroworks site)

Carburetor Vent Tube
Does your Samurai (with the stock Hitachi carburetor) hesitate and stumble? Our carburetor vent tube supplies the fix. It conforms to the requirements of Suzuki Technical Service Bulletin TS 4-06 03109(R) as detailed in the Suzuki Pages of Off-Road.com and includes installation instructions.

SKU: ENG-0320
Price: $9.50
Shipping Weight: 1 lb.
Online Store

Link: PetroWorks - Engine parts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a ton. I found that little part here:

Suzuki Carburetor: Venturi for Samurai Carburetor

and planned on getting one. You found it cheaper though ;)

I found a small electronic device mounted on the firewall. Has wires running to it and 3 vacuum lines, all of which are disconnected. Any idea what it is/does? I'll try to snap a picture today. Also, I have read a lot and the popular suggestion for big guys (I'm 6'4") is neon seats. Is that the best suggestion? Will I need the mounting rail from the neon or a tracker to install these with some ease?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Non of your pix show the underside, so I can't tell if there is a small (1") body lift or if the shackles are just aftermarket (longer). There does seem to be a little lift.

A sticker could have come free with a bumper that isn't there anymore...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts