Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
Air appears to be the winner, if you read articles on this. They engage immediately. If you’re going to the route of changing the diff, etc., you might as well go the whole way, even if the air is more work to install, no? The price isn’t all that different.

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
The electrics I've seen use an electrically operated ramp mechanism and vehicle motion to engage the locker, the problem I see with this is that it may unlock momentarily and then relock whenever the direction of motion changes, if that wheel happens to be what's holding the vehicle, you have a potential disaster in the making - this is not a problem with air lockers, and air also has the advantage, if you use an appropriately sized compressor, that you can air down/up as required.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Interesting info regarding the e-lockers, I was unaware of the ramp issue. I do know that the newer Chrysler products (jeep/dodge) on this side of the pond can be had with e-lockers from the factory. I know a couple folks who own them and they are completely happy with theirs, but I don't know anything about the internals on those.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is the air locker an ARB or other? Having air on board is definitely a plus. There does not appear to be that much difference in price either. Random question on your setup...the steel unit you sourced, does it use the air engagement front diff? If so, can you use the air inlet from that system for your air locker?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
what you see in my link is an ARB copy, the real thing + compressor costs about twice....

yes, its a steel diff off one with the (vacuum) air engage, cant see why you couldnt reuse the fitting,

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
had another chat with my buddy who had electric locker on his previous jimny and now also on his last gen one: no issues with ramp mechanism or it unlocking on reverse... and he uses his lockers quite a bit on rough rocky desert tracks.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
Personally, I usually do some serious research on the internet, looking at other forums and write ups, before making a decision. While it may be that electric lockers ‘usually’ don’t cause issues, there are quite a few write ups on the internet, comparing the electric to the air, and usually the air lockers are the preferred. The cost isn’t that much different….so the issue becomes the additional work involved….

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
Just a few, but loads more if you google ‘compare e locker vs air locker…..
An interesting discussion here, about the locking/unlocking situation with the elocker that Fordem talked about:
A video comparison:

Note that some are talking about specific brands, but you get the idea…..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes, I hear about the ramp, but looks like some things have been blown out of proportion too.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Shame you can't find a torsen lsd for it.

Go with the air, if you do it right, with a changeover valve and the correct compressor and regulator you can also use the compressor to charge an air tank and then use that for tyre pressure adjustment when off toad.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
looks like itll be air, bit from all what i read there, these locker compressors are totally overworked if you need to fill a tire, better a specific one just for wheeles

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
looks like itll be air, bit from all what i read there, these locker compressors are totally overworked if you need to fill a tire, better a specific one just for wheeles
Most guys here don't use the locker compressor but a decent one feeding a tank, then tap off a regulated pressure supply with a solenoid driven from a dash switch to apply the air to the diff when locking is needed. Effectively compressor to tank to regulator to diff solenoids, with any accessories like air hose connection off the main tank. This also gives you a large reserve so you can lock and unlock as needed and nit have the compressor running flat out trying to keep up. I've seen some lockers take a few seconds to engage off their compressor, with a decent tank its instant as you have the capacity there. Compressor obviously on a pressure switch so it cones on as needed to maintain pressure
Watch any of the winch challenge stuff in nz and Australia and you will see the gq Nissan's with a compressor on the back deck, big air tank and several switches for front and rear diff control

Obviously you size your system to suit your needs but being able to only have to carry 1 compressor to do multiple jobs is always handy. Even being able to plug in an air line with a nozzle to blow dirt out of important little places is handy.

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
ARB sells their air lockers with & without the compressors, you can choose to install the small compressor for the lockers only, a larger compressor to handle both lockers and tires, or run the lockers off of whatever other air system you might have installed.

The chinese knockoff lockers are generally supplied as a package with a small compressor but it's your choice.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
ARB combo was way out of my budget, still have other expenses like 26 spline axles, etc...
so, ordered this one, checked with seller, it has a little reservoir that can be kept pressurized for instant activation.
https://shop.traction4x4.it/it/blocco-differenziale-+-compressore-ofrd/?variant=772
following my friend's advise, for tires, I will simply get a portable compressor made for the job that doesnt require a long coiled tube to reach your wheel, just a thin cable to the lighter.
not much room in the back for my 2dr...
in the meantime bought another "must have" from my past year's experience off roading in the woods, what got me stopped in many trails pretty much requires to have this toy this onboard... :)
Brick Wood Brickwork Wall Facade

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
following my friend's advise, for tires, I will simply get a portable compressor made for the job that doesnt require a long coiled tube to reach your wheel, just a thin cable to the lighter.
not much room in the back for my 2dr...
Is this the same friend with the Jimny and the e-lockers?

I have one of those "portable compressors" that plug into the cigarette lighter, I keep it in the back of my daughter's "mom SUV", and it struggles to top off the tires on that. Good luck using anything "cigarette lighter powered" to air up any decent sized tire after airing down for off road use, they just don't have what it takes, they are limited by how much power you can draw from a lighter socket.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
point taken, will ask about the details, its was just my wrong assumption that his was lighter socket connection, didnt query that deep, good that you are so precise about the little details that count
now realize the one i thought about is indeed direct to battery
my tires are not decent sized anyway :) puny 195's,

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I have a cigar lighter powered compressor, pumps up the gv tyres no problems but it does draw 10A

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
I have a cigar lighter powered compressor, pumps up the gv tyres no problems but it does draw 10A
How long does it take to pump four tires from say 15 psi up to the factory recommended 32 psi?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts