Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought my first Sidekick this week. Its a 1991 4 door. Ive been looking around for a roof rack system but I cant find anything. Does anyone know of any racks that fit the Sidekick?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I could be wrong, but I have never seen one purpose built for a 4 door. Calmini has a pretty slick one for a 2 door. I built mine about 4 years ago because I couldn't find one. If you have a good 4x4 fab shop in your area, they should be able to build you one pretty easily if you don't have the equipment or knowledge to do it yourself. The trick is to get it mounted without it looking cheesy or drilling holes into your body.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but here is mine. It is pretty simple, but useful....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice Kodiak

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks really slick kodiak. How did you mount your basket to your roof? I have a yakima basket and was originally looking for crossbars. But now Im open to ideas. Ive kind of been leaning towards false rain gutters and getting yakima cross bars.

·
Registered
223 Posts
To mount mine, I lifted the rubber molding on the roof to expose the pinch welds. I then drilled 1/4" holes through the brackets and pinch welds. I had to trim a bit of the inside of the molding for clearance. I took a couple of pics so you can get a better idea....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi, Kodiak. I have the Sport like your with the same color, red. I really want to build that roof rack as well.
You said: Lift the rubber molding on the roof to expose the pinch welds. Then, drill 1/4" holes through the brackets and pinch welds. After that trim a bit of the inside of the molding for clearance. I still cannot get the idea!
How can you lift the rubber molding? with a screw driver? How can you prevent leak from raining? Could you please give me more details so that I can build one as well!
Thanks,

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rasmeidirtrider, the molding is on tight, but will come off with a blade under it. It takes a little time, but once it is started, it is pretty easy to lift off. Also, the molding is really just cosmetic. I doubt the roof would leak with the molding off. With the tight welds, seam sealer and paint, the pinch welds should not leak. If you were worried about where the hole are drilled, I imagine you could run some silicone around the holes, but I never had any problems. Even then the molding it still covering the pinch weld. I can't see how it would ever leak.

I had pictures of the molding off when I installed the rack, but that was in my old pc that had a nervous breakdown. The biggest thing is getting your width measurements exact so the brackets fit nice and tight up against the pinch welds. If you have no way to bend the corners, you could just make it with sharp corners. I think I used 5/8" square tubing to keep it light. If you can weld, cut metal and use a tape measure, its a pretty easy rack to build. ;)

Here is a shot of the rack from above.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thank you very much Kodiak, I will talk to the guy who is running the welding business and show him your photos to make one for my Sport.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought my first Sidekick this week. Its a 1991 4 door. Ive been looking around for a roof rack system but I cant find anything. Does anyone know of any racks that fit the Sidekick?
Evan,

Where are you located?

I have a rack. It is also "home made" and is lighter built than Kodiak's rack. It was attached with small screws on the pinch welds. I removed it because I didn't need it and the wind noise it made.

I am near Portland in the Great North-Wet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts