Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm looking at buying my first 4x4 - a uk spec jimny probably be a pre-05 model and would like to ask a cupla questions, hopefully some kind hearted soul will enlighten me! do I have to worry about something called locking wheel hubs on this car? and I've also heard that these cars are not the usual negative earth ie the body is not connected to battery minus - is this correct? reason I ask is that I would like in the future to add some spotlights to the front of the car. cheers.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The hubs on these are vacuum operated, sometimes the seals can leak so its best to try and find somewhere that you can test the 4wd. 4wd should not be used on the road.
The Jimny is negative earth with the battery earth connected to the chassis but, as is common with japanese vehicles, many circuits are switched on the earth side not the positive side. It isn't really an issue but you do need to keep that in mind if you fit spots without using an OE harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hi there thanks for replying. I understand your info regarding the electrical system and will have to take care! and I also have read about the transmission windup problem on hard roads. I'm really green when it comes to 4x4 stuff and only really looking for a small jimny which I will never take offroad - I will only ever use the 4wd system in snow or maybe on bad icy roads - are there vacuum hubs on both back and front wheels? why are they required? am I right in guessing that the vacuum operates automatically when 4wd is selected - or do the hubs have to be switched manually? pardon the questions but I cant quite get my head round this aspect of 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The vacuum hubs are only on the front, they reduce wear on the front axle by allowing the wheels to turn independantly when in 2wd. They are automatically engaged when 4wd is selected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts