Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Review this thread for the operational details of the system...

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-199...78-4-wheel-drive-system-problems-include.html

Then determine if the vehicle is actually IN 4WD or whether it is a reporting (light on) error.

Curious:
Is the stick selection lever actually jammed in 4WD? :huh:
Or do you have a dash mounted selector switch that appears not to control the drive selections as designed?

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
A North American (US/Canada) model '04 XL-7 has an electrically shifted transfer case (other countries may be different), possible causes range from drive train windup to a shift mechanism or electrical control failure - you may need to get the car to a dealer to resolve the problem, and I don't recommend driving it due to the possibility of damage - a tilt bed truck would be safer.

If you have access to a hoist or a set of four jack-stands - get the vehicle off the ground so all four wheels can rotate freely, put the transmission in neutral and then try shifting from 4H back to 2H - doing this would allow drive train windup to relieve itself.

If that doesn't fix it, put the vehicle back on it's wheels, hand brake up, selector in 2H - jack one front wheel off the ground and try to rotate that wheel - if the wheel turns, it would indicate that the vehicle is actually in 2H and probably safe to drive over to the dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, vehicle is in 4WD. Second, it has a dash mounted selector switch which will not let it go back to 2WD. I can hear the transfer case attempting to swith it back. I want to thank you in advance for getting back to me so quickly.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
This may just be a matter of wording, but, to my way of thinking, if the dash selector switch was what was "not letting it go back to 2WD", you wouldn't hear the transfer case attempting to switch back - the dash switch sends the "command", an electrical motor "carries out" the command - you're hearing that motor trying to shift, but for whatever reason it can't.

Drive train windup which is essentially the torsional stress that occurs if the vehicle is used in 4WD on a hard surface, is a possible cause - try getting all four wheels, or at least the front two off the ground to relieve the stress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your spot on analysis and recommendation to fix my 4WD to return to 2WD. I put the vehicle on a lift and got the four wheels off the ground. As soon as I pressed the selector it went immediately into 2WD. I would have never figured this out without your sage advice. Again, thanks to all of you who assisted in solving this problem.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
You're welcome - now please - use google to research drive train windup - it's a common problem that occurs when a part time 4WD (which is what you have) is operated on a hard surface, and in extreme cases can cause damage to the transfer case.

It may be difficult, especially in this weather, to decide when you can use the 4WD and when you shouldn't, but you'll be better off knowing how it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.