Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This for someone who has taken them apart and is familiar with the inner workings.

A new-to-me switch has a left-turn function problem. Left turn signal activation works only with a stalk wiggle.

Under the PCB, the nylon slider in the body of the unit for that function has an oddly shaped copper contact. I think one of the copper nubbins (the one seated on the middle PCB contacts at rest) has completely worn away. It looks like a machined groove now.

It bothers me that such a clean, machined looking appearance does not look to be a worn 'fit'. Maybe there is an odd reason this slider is different from every other one in the unit. ...unlikely.

Two things: Does anyone know this slider contact is supposed to look like all the others, with two dimples, one on each end?

And...does anyone have an old/broken (for some other reason) switch assy lying around that has a directional slider that is NOT worn through?

Of course, a pic would be good. I just put the switch back together for the umpteenth time (lost the latch pin for the hazard button when it unexpectedly popped out. Looking for that was fun.) and do NOT have a pic right now. If/when next time I take it apart, I'll snap a pic of the failed slider.

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well now....hasn't THIS been a busy thread!

I took parts from a switch with multiple problems (broken 'mist' switch holder, flaky high-beams) to put in my just bought $125 'good' (not quite it turned out) switch. It works. I got too focused (sounds like a good thing, but wasn't) on the specific part, should have used a DIFFERENT slider that is in the headlight section of the donor switch for the 'new' turn signal slider. That 'different' slider contact had little wear, the specific slider I used is worn a good bit.

Circuit component Rectangle Wood Magenta Electric blue

Just watched a 'gold nugget' post about a rebuild of Ed's old Samurai (Matt's Off Road Recovery) where a 'Kick switch is going to be used. It looks pretty beat up...I wonder what the chances are that it will work for 'em. I've been through several of them in the 20-some years I've owned my Tracker.

A btw note: On the bay there is a sale of NEW but not-quite-working switches for a decent price. The hazard switch doesn't lock, otherwise said to be a brandy new switch. If the hazard never worked it wouldn't be the end of the world, but the swap-in of any hazard workings from another otherwise too-far-gone switch should take care of the problem. I found a NEW switch for sale in Cah-nah-duh for only $677. ouch Anyone driving a Tracker/Sidekick on a regular basis should have one'a these switches in their parts box. I bought two of the bay switches.

**note**If you take the hazard slider out of the switch body, watch for the latch pin on the underside when you take the slider out. It goes 'sproing' real easy seeing as it's a sprung pin. NOT losing it is much preferable to going LOOKING for it if it pops out.

An option if you don't have donor switches lying around: Use a piece of romex (solid house wiring), pound it flat, cut out a piece to solder into the hole of the failed contact. That should last for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
26,530 Posts
I did read your posts, but had nothing to add, other than my switches are 30 years old and hope they last another 30 years. If not, I’ll really study your info better!! :). I’m sure your info will help someone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts