Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
The kit looks pretty sweet but it does not appear to have a catalytic converter, you might check and see if it will be smog legal in your area, or budget to add one if you need.

I live about a jillion miles from the nearest smog check station:D, I used a catalytic converter anyway to keep it cleaner smelling when the top is off and to cut down on noise. I want the extra muffling of a cat as well.

That being said mine goes like this:

Thorley header w/ 2" reducer > Magnaflow universal cat #91004 > 2" pipe > Magnaflow muffler # 11114 right before diff > 2" pipe out the rear w/ turned down.

I modeled this system, down to the stainless steel muffler and cat part numbers, after the personal rig of a Samurai guru from Trail Tough. While I only have 10 miles on it (Back off the road for trans rebuild) it has a nice note but pretty quiet, cant smell anything and seems to flow PLENTY! Because I went on ebay for the muffler and cat I got each for around $50 brand new shipped.

I have no long term review but I consider it a HUGE upgrade from the 2.25" and Flowmaster. Performance is better in every respect and it no longer offends my sense of tranquility.

Tony

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm running a Thorley into a 2" MagnaFlo universal cat with a Walker Quiet Flow 21535 2" turbo muffler. The system follows the stock path, exiting out the side.

I previously had a Cherry Bomb turbo muffler on it, but found it to be too loud. The Quiet Flow has a nice throaty sound, without being too loud.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It sounds like a nice system. It's sort of tricky sometimes to get a nice throaty sound without that loud ricey thing going on, especially from such a small engine. Good performance and good sound at a volume that's easy to live with on a daily basis is a nice achievement.

I had 2.5" Cherry Bombs on my 70 Torino GT straight out the back, it sounded quite angry with any throttle at all (351C with 11.7:1 compression) Ear candy to be sure but it was a bit loud, I was only 19 then so thats my excuse.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running a Thorley into a 2" MagnaFlo universal cat with a Walker Quiet Flow 21535 2" turbo muffler. The system follows the stock path, exiting out the side.

I previously had a Cherry Bomb turbo muffler on it, but found it to be too loud. The Quiet Flow has a nice throaty sound, without being too loud.

VaderSS that system sounds great.
Do you have a video of it running?
Id love to hear what it sounds like.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm sure hate mail will be sent my way after I post this.
THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE IN ADDING A HEADER TO A STOCK , OR SEMI STOCK SAMURAI ENGINE.
The HP gained touted by Lowrainge have more to do with the 2" exhaust and muffler.
I don't have the stamina right now to go into the whole exhaust pulse theory. It's been coved in great detail before, ON THIS SITE. And others.
I prefer a welded muffler to a tin can......2" pipe in the stock path. Is all you will need.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Boxcar, I agree to a point with the horsepower gains.
For those of you that have a cracked stock exhaust manifold, use a header and you won't have to worry about it again. Some stock items really need to be upgraded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts