Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is an offshoot from a question in another thread. I am posting this in a new thread so it is easier to search for it later.

Thanks Bill, I'll do that today. BTW, I noticed the mirrors in your two Samurais are on the fenders, rather than on the doors, how did you do that?
I found quite early on that when you make the doors easily removable, your mirrors end up leaning against the garage wall - which doesn't do you any good if you have to drive through traffic. Fold down the windshield and then you have no mirrors at all...

There are a few mirror relocation kits out there at the Zook Vendors web sites. They bolt to the upper door hinge and the mirrors bolt onto them. kind of strange looking.

I have done it two different ways. The trail zook was never meant to be a show truck, so I just used a few sheet metal screws and attached the mirror directly to the windshield base. Done deal.

The stalker (street) project truck was meant to be a daily driver and something to show off at events, so I took a bit more thought on that one. I first used a set of relocation brackets (but again, they looked strange) and then I got lucky and got to try out a product from ZOR (Zuks Off Road). Myron makes a piece of road armor that attaches to the lower part of the windshield frame. It is designed to cover up/strengthen the thin metal that rusts out and drops your wiper arms into the dash. The side benefit is that they also have offroad light mounts and mirror mounts built in! Really slick!
One word of warning, this piece was not designed to work with a fold down windshield kit. I bet it can be done, but you will have to do some trimming and get really thin lights...

·
Registered
448 Posts
This thread is an offshoot from a question in another thread. I am posting this in a new thread so it is easier to search for it later.

I found quite early on that when you make the doors easily removable, your mirrors end up leaning against the garage wall - which doesn't do you any good if you have to drive through traffic. Fold down the windshield and then you have no mirrors at all...

There are a few mirror relocation kits out there at the Zook Vendors web sites. They bolt to the upper door hinge and the mirrors bolt onto them. kind of strange looking.

I have done it two different ways. The trail zook was never meant to be a show truck, so I just used a few sheet metal screws and attached the mirror directly to the windshield base. Done deal.

The stalker (street) project truck was meant to be a daily driver and something to show off at events, so I took a bit more thought on that one. I first used a set of relocation brackets (but again, they looked strange) and then I got lucky and got to try out a product from ZOR (Zuks Off Road). Myron makes a piece of road armor that attaches to the lower part of the windshield frame. It is designed to cover up/strengthen the thin metal that rusts out and drops your wiper arms into the dash. The side benefit is that they also have offroad light mounts and mirror mounts built in! Really slick!
One word of warning, this piece was not designed to work with a fold down windshield kit. I bet it can be done, but you will have to do some trimming and get really thin lights...

That's absolutely coooooooooooooool! Your stalker is a really serious show piece! If only you change your rims to some shinier ones :)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's absolutely coooooooooooooool! Your stalker is a really serious show piece! If only you change your rims to some shinier ones :)
Heck with shiney... then I would never use it. I would be afraid of scratching something... Here is my favorite pic - pulling a Jeep off of a rock pile.

I had just crawled all up and over that pile playing with the locker when he tried it and failed miserably. hehehe...

That pic makes it look flat, here is a better shot of the little rocks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Heck with shiney... then I would never use it. I would be afraid of scratching something... Here is my favorite pic - pulling a Jeep off of a rock pile.

I had just crawled all up and over that pile playing with the locker when he tried it and failed miserably. hehehe...

That pic makes it look flat, here is a better shot of the little rocks.
Man that's a BEAUTIFL picture! And you're doing it with the lower, pretty stalker. The beauty of it is not that a Samurai is pulling a Jeep, but that the Samurai is a stock-looking, showpiece car, not a badass puffed up Samurai.

Most Jeep owners claim that a Samurai can only match a stock Jeep if it is puffed up with SPOA and missing links.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most Jeep owners claim that a Samurai can only match a stock Jeep if it is puffed up with SPOA and missing links.
That is until they wheel with one... I did many of the trails in Las Cruces using a slightly lifted, stock geared 92 on 31's with just a locker in the front, back in the late 90's. You should have seen the looks of horror when I would drive it through an obstacle after they took an hour on the same thing...

·
Registered
448 Posts
That is until they wheel with one... I did many of the trails in Las Cruces using a slightly lifted, stock geared 92 on 31's with just a locker in the front, back in the late 90's. You should have seen the looks of horror when I would drive it through an obstacle after they took an hour on the same thing...

To tell you the truth, my current Samurai wasn't able to do much before I lifted it, with the tiny tires, open diffs, and zero articulation. But perhaps with just little mods, you can completely transform it to something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts