Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i was thinking of getting a 8" or 10" JBL sub... and i wanted to ask, if i mount it on the rear panel... you know, the one behind the rear seats that comes off... would i get good bases ? or its better to get a box for it ? .... i dont want to make the whole car shake... i just want to add some bass... so would the trunk act somewhat like a box ? or would that make the sub useless ? ... THANK YOU !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Subwoofers need an enclosure to work properly. Whatever sub you buy will have its own 'ideal' enclosure specs (i.e., it'll tell you the proper volume for an enclosed box and a ported box), and it's a good idea to buy/design your enclosure to meet those specs as closely as possible. A single 8" or 10" sub, in a good enclosure, will add a lot to your stock system without blowing the doors off. If space is an issue, Pioneer makes 10" and 12" inch shallow subs that take up a lot less room and require a lot less enclosure volume. Here's my install: [ federic0's 2006 Suzuki Reno on CarDomain - Page 2 ]

·
Registered
494 Posts
Subwoofers need an enclosure to work properly. Whatever sub you buy will have its own 'ideal' enclosure specs (i.e., it'll tell you the proper volume for an enclosed box and a ported box), and it's a good idea to buy/design your enclosure to meet those specs as closely as possible. A single 8" or 10" sub, in a good enclosure, will add a lot to your stock system without blowing the doors off. If space is an issue, Pioneer makes 10" and 12" inch shallow subs that take up a lot less room and require a lot less enclosure volume. Here's my install: [ federic0's 2006 Suzuki Reno on CarDomain - Page 2 ]
Also your sub is gonna sound different if you have a ported setup or a sealed set up. Federic0 your setup looks great by the way i am working on something similar except with ports in the top above the wheel wells and on both sides. Mad props on your amp rack. alot cleaner looking than mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, lamborgini. That was my first install, and I wasn't brave enough to try porting it; though I hear it sounds better if you do it right. Post up some pics of yours when you get it in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Revenge:
Yes you can use that panel to mount a sub-woofer.
Free air subs (or IB for infinite baffle) are made to be used when a box is not an option. So, just make sure the sub you put there is light, and low powered so that it wont sag over time, unless you make some reinforcements.
Here are some free air options:
free air sub woofer, Car Electronics, Parts Accessories items on eBay.com=
I would go with the JL.
And yes it will satisfy what you are looking for.
my .02

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info.. to be honest i've never heared of free air woofers before... its good to know.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oi matey, with the build that you did, can you still retrieve the spare and the other road side safety stuff?

I am starting on my subs next weekend, and I am liking what you done

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea you can still get to everything; I even had extra space for jumper cables. Idk if it shows up in the pics at all, but the amp platform is hinged on the frontside and is connected with 2 "L" brackets at the backside. If I need to get to my spare/tools, all I have to do is take out 4 screws and the whole thing rotates up. Good luck with your install!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea you can still get to everything; I even had extra space for jumper cables. Idk if it shows up in the pics at all, but the amp platform is hinged on the frontside and is connected with 2 "L" brackets at the backside. If I need to get to my spare/tools, all I have to do is take out 4 screws and the whole thing rotates up. Good luck with your install!

Cheers mate, this was a genius idea I will try and do your design justice, although I am using Alpine Type-R Series subs so I am going to have to build up a box around it so the magnent will have some breathing room

·
Registered
99 Posts
Revenge:
Yes you can use that panel to mount a sub-woofer.
Free air subs (or IB for infinite baffle) are made to be used when a box is not an option. So, just make sure the sub you put there is light, and low powered so that it wont sag over time, unless you make some reinforcements.
Here are some free air options:
free air sub woofer, Car Electronics, Parts Accessories items on eBay.com=
I would go with the JL.
And yes it will satisfy what you are looking for.
my .02
Free air subs, are just regular subs with a stiffer suspension and/or lighter cone to prevent sagging, they'll still sag.

You can't just mount it to the rear deck, either. You still need to seal off the rear wave of the driver from the front, or at least time delay it with something resembling a transmission line enclosure. There's also a tapped horn to get a similar effect.

You're best bet is to make the rear deck STURDY, I'm talking 1" MDF or ply. Then build the smallest spec box for your sub hanging from the rear deck.

That's not that great though, as now the sub is playing into the back glass, which doesn't like bass frequencies very much, not very reflective.

Mount it in a spec box, put some velcro on it and stick it to the floor. Velcro so you can move it around for groceries and what-not. Unless you're good with fiberglass and wood and do something like the guy that put it on the side; it's not difficult.

That'll get you the best sound for the least effort, at least.

What sub(s) and amp(s)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jet-Lee, i havent got any subs yet.. and i've never handled fiberglass before... but your point of view is very interesting that it wont be very efficient to mount a sub there.. and 1" mdf, it'll need a whole rebuild i guess ;) so yeah i think its better to get a regular sub with a small box... but yeah i've gathered a bit of knowledge about things i didnt knew before ;) so thnx everybody !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts