Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amp and tablet to replace my stolen headunit came in today.

As you can see, the amp is small. I was going to mount it behind the tablet where the stock radio sat, but there is literally nothing to screw it to.

I have tons of room under the seats, but I like to rinse out the interior when it gets dusty. So that isnt really an option.

Just wondering if anyone has pics or links to people who have hidden their amps.

Also....my replacement faceplate came in for my old radio this morning. So I have a double din dvd touch screen Im letting go for cheap.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sound stream makes good stuff ;)

When I did my stereo my satellite speakers (fronts and rears) are powered from my deck (an Alpine cde121) my sub runs off a dedicated amp (a JL 250 watt) I hid mine under the seat (I think it's the most logical and sensible location) however as you stated you tend to run water inside so that's not an option.

A trick my dad did in the 80s was he hid a head unit and amp in the glovebox and locked it. I think that would work (although if you use it that could be a problem) on the back of the glovebox could work though (make sure you run enough wire so you can still open and close the glovebox)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they finally are back to making good equipment after years of junk.

Looks like I might be able to fit it on top of the lower duct work behind the ash tray. Hopefully at least.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My only real concern is does this amp run hot? I know after a while my JL amp will get hot (it's an analog class AB amp so it's expected). But if it fits there and you can run the wires for it why not? ;)

What speakers are you running in yours?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 4ch 520w class d. Running very very low power at 4 ohm. Only running two infinity 4s and two infinity 6x9s.

Originally the plan was not to go too far into the car audio like my last car, but with the need for an amp with the tablet, I can see a small sub in the future.

The amp fit below the ashtray perfectly. And fits so snugly that the plastic panels hold it completely stationary.

Sounds good on a phone, probably going to deal with the tablet tomorrow.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Class D is usually a cool running design so I think it should be fine nested in there.
My setup is Alpine Type S 4inch up front (in factory mounts hidden behind stock grills)
The CDE121 I told you about
JBL 5 1/4 GTO series speakers in the rear mounts
JL 250W mono amp (told you about that one)
And my sub is a Kicker Comp C10 (2ohm) in a custom built home made sealed cabinet

The setup sounds great and it's quite balanced, not too bass heavy with the sub dialed back. I can actually feel it in the seat. Sometimes I turn the sub up and blast some Skrillex through it if I want to "show off" ;) at that point you can't see out of the rear view mirror LOL.

As for a small sub you really don't need much. My single 10 inch sounds great with my hodgepodge of a stereo. If you know how to design a cabinet you can make a nice small one that will leave lots of trunk space and sound good (I like sealed boxes as they sound deep and tight without being "boomy" and "muddy"sounding) usually the manual for your sub will have guidelines for box size.

I can get pictures if you want

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First car ran 2 audiobahn 12s in a 8 cubic foot quad ported box. It could play down to 10hz or so...way lower than you couod hear, but would shake everything in a hundred feet.

Second car, the xb, had three audiobahn 10s in a downfiring sealed box with 2 inch legs to create a boomier ported sound. Nowhere near as loud, but they were sound quality subs as opposed to spl.

That car had mb quart components, run without the attached crossovers, and wired to twin kicker 800.4s. It was eye bleedingly loud, eyes, not ears lol

Ive held off doing that with this car, because it has zero sound deadening and would be a pain to tune for...but its a slipperly slope. Likely only a matter of tike before this amp is in the wife's car....

Its just like anything, a little leads to more.

Unfortunately, I still have my 1800hct sitting in the shed, that thing can push 2250 watts at 1 ohm all day long...with barely any heat. But it draws around 110 amps or so at that point. Way more than this electrical system can handle.

Nicest thing about small amps, I ran this one off of my SeaGate interior fuse panel. No wires to run through the firewall.

·
Registered
303 Posts
First car ran 2 audiobahn 12s in a 8 cubic foot quad ported box. It could play down to 10hz or so...way lower than you couod hear, but would shake everything in a hundred feet.

Second car, the xb, had three audiobahn 10s in a downfiring sealed box with 2 inch legs to create a boomier ported sound. Nowhere near as loud, but they were sound quality subs as opposed to spl.

That car had mb quart components, run without the attached crossovers, and wired to twin kicker 800.4s. It was eye bleedingly loud, eyes, not ears lol

Ive held off doing that with this car, because it has zero sound deadening and would be a pain to tune for...but its a slipperly slope. Likely only a matter of tike before this amp is in the wife's car....

Its just like anything, a little leads to more.

Unfortunately, I still have my 1800hct sitting in the shed, that thing can push 2250 watts at 1 ohm all day long...with barely any heat. But it draws around 110 amps or so at that point. Way more than this electrical system can handle.

Nicest thing about small amps, I ran this one off of my SeaGate interior fuse panel. No wires to run through the firewall.
Jeeze Louise!!! that is BONKERS!!

my setup is nowhere near as powerful but it sounds good without rattling the car to bits, i tuned it more for sound quality, lots of the stuff in my stereo was things kicking around in my shop. and as inexpensive as my kicker comp 10 is. I have put systems with 2 10 inches and well over twice as much power to shame because i designed the box for my sub and built it to manufactures specs as opposed to buying a pre-built box. when i crank it up (for giggles of course) you can almost feel your brain rattling in your head. even dialed back you can feel kick drum notes in the seat (the beauty of sealed boxes). its all how you set the cabinet up ;)

sometimes though i just turn the stereo off and let my 2 inch magnaflow system play the music (the J motors have a very nice exhaust note, one of my friends said it sounds like an old super car LOL)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts