Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning I was looking at some oil filters that I had stored in the barn. One of them is a Motorcraft FL-400S (used on FoMoCo V-6's among others). I happened to have the hood open on my '86 Sami and noticed that it was about the same diameter, but longer than the stock oil filter for the Sami. Did some research and found that the filter base is nearly identical to the stock (0.007 inch smaller OD, same ID, same thread). I then pulled the stock filter and spun on the FL-400S...started her up, and no leaks. Topped off the oil (for the loss of oil in the stock filter and the added capacity of the FL-400S) and everything appears fine. My question: Has anyone ever heard of anyone running this filter on the 1.3l Suzuki engine or any other larger capacity oil filters?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Out of curiosity, I looked up the Baldwin crosses, 'cause they have a good site. Both Baldwin crosses (B243 & B159) have anti-drainback and 8psi bypass valves. Other than a different sealing ring configuration and about 3/4" in length, they appear very similar. If your Ford filter seals properly, it looks like it could/should work well. The additional filter area, volume and cooling surface of a larger filter should be beneficial. A good oil filter information site: Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I cannot obtain the spec for the FL-400S bypass valve (dang Motorcraft doesn't supply spec's worth a darn anymore)...I ran the Zuke yesterday and had no problem at all on dirt roads (watched my oil pressure gauge closely). This morning I started it at dawn when it was cool out and it appears the anti-drainback valve works just fine in the horizontal position (the engine started smoothly with no unusual clatter due to a drain-back of the filter).

The only problem I can possibly think of is if a person had a loose motor mount, the filter could strike the edge of the motor mount :eek: under torque or/and very uneven ground...I'm going to take mine out today where I will experiment with these conditions and will report back on the results...I will take the old shorty filter with me ;).

EDIT: Just got back from a pull to over 9,000 feet elevation with some grades of about 14 percent...no problem at all with the filter...I say it is good to go, but your mileage may vary! The filter adds about 8 ounces of oil capacity.

You might enjoy what I had to stop and help on my way down the hill (see picture below :eek:).

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts