Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Samurai which is stock FI 1.3 I would like to get some more power out of it. What would be the best add ons.
I have toying with the idea of the Weber carb set up and header. What electrical confrontations will there be with the computor. Does anyone remap the computor for more power like a chip would add in other application?
Thanks in advance
John

·
Registered
201 Posts
lets see, no carb because it is FI (fuel injected) so that is a no go.

but the best bang for the buck is the combo of a header and the 2 inch exhaust. open it up and let it breath. now i have a drop in K & N, and i do not know how well an after market intake would help.

i am unaware of any computer remapping software for the samurai - wasnt that popular of a vehicle to spurn the R & D needed.

but on another note, what other vehicles have the 1.3? i remember a friend about 15 years ago that took the computer from a ...sports car datsun/nissan and placed it in his datsun/nissan truck of about the same year. so i was wondering if the geo metro, or the swift GTI. anyone have any thoughts on this. im intriqued!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm afraid that replacing your factory FI with a carburator would be a seriously expensive mistake, and one you won't be happy with. FI is by far more responsive than either the factory carb or the Weber. Also, if you live in a state with strict emissions testing, the FI system is factory and will normally test better. California, for example, might actually fail the vehicle if the fuel system has been modified from stock.

You might consider flat top pistons for increased compression, possibly bore cylinders .040 over. I honestly don't think you will find that to be a satisfying solution either.

ZOR is producing a Harley Davidson carb setup for the Samurai and it is getting good reviews, though I doubt it would improve on the factory FI. Oh, ZOR is Zuks Off Road.

Realistically, from a bolt on standpoint, you're best bet would be to do as already suggested, let the engine breathe easier. Install a tri-Y header and 2 inch exhaust, using a high flow cat converter (if your state requires one) and a good flowing muffler.

You might also consider changing the gear ratio in the transfer case. Excellent lower ratio gear sets are now available at reasonable cost. These lower gears would improve your 5th gear power. Another approach could be to go to lower differential gears. Doing both would give you outstanding crawl power but that may not be your ultimate goal. If highway mileage and improved power is your goal I would suggest a 4.16:1 gear set for the TC and a good flowing header/exhaust system.

:beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some might see this as dumb or bassackwards. But what I am doing is replacing the 2wd drivetrain and suspension on the Zuki with a 4wd chassis.
The original 2wd drive drivetrain out of my Zuki is under a 1927 Ford T pickup that I hope to have finished in a few weeks. I used the engine trans rear and front end along with the steeering and the wiring harness with computor. I didnt realize that the 2wd Suzuki has a tc also I was thinking of leaving it out under the T. I don't know what to expect out of the 2wd drivetrain without the TC:confused: I have already ordered the tri Y header for it. I won't have to worry about emissions so no cat.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i had seen/heard of ppl using the samurai frame + drive train with old WW2 jeeps. but nothing like this. would like to see pics when you finish

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mule
More progress is being made on the T-uki. I ended up lowering it 8"f/6"r. and chopping the top 5".:eek: Does anyone know the drive ratio of the trans without the TC on a 2wd?:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts