Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this one today:

1987 suzuki samurai

Went and drove it for a little bit, has a new clutch too that isn't mentioned in the ad, but it's missing the radio box. Although it's a JX, the A/C is gone. Overall it was in good shape, but the new clutch was hard to drive, it suddenly drops in, but he said that will go away with time.

As a previous Jeep owner I was wondering a few things:

- The steering seemed a little loose, is that fixable?
- The ride is a little rough, is that to be expected?

What are your thoughts about this one? I really would prefer a Sammy that's more stock, but it seems like a good deal for having a rebuilt motor and new clutch.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it looks pretty clean. The biggest red flag I see is a RRO 6.5 lift. what kind of lift is it? Reverse shackle? spring over axle? Missing links? from the picture it looks like spring over axle with extra long front shackles. The caster angle looks all wrong and that would cause squirly steering. The loose steering shouldn't be hard to fix, expesially if you go with a different suspension. You just have to figure out what is wrong with it. The steering shouldn't be loose, and if he's got an Over the top steering and NOT a Z-bar then you shouldn't be geting any bump steer. What kind of clutch is it? If its a dual friction clutch like the centerforce 2, then the engagement issue isn't going to "wear in" You will get used to driving it and adjust your clutching as necessary, but a dual friction clutch is designed to NOT wear. . I've had a centerforce 2 clutch in my rig for over 10 years now and it's still got a very firm solid engagement. They aren't easy to slip, unless you
are used to driving with one. If it's a standard clutch or even the preformance clutch it will "soften" over time.

The harsh ride is standard because of the short springs on the samurai. If you convert it to longer Jeep srprings it will soften the ride. If you do get a YJ conversion kit, do not get Rocky Road's product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah after sleeping on it, I think I'll pass. I want one with a lot less mods than this one has on it. I figure for the $2500 I've got to spend I can get a stock one in better condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts