Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi again now this may be a stupid question but ill ask anyway this being my first 4x4 i was wondering if someone could explain is as best detail as can be bothered how and when to use the extra shifter i have the 1997 sierra with the hubs you have to lock in yourself and the extra little shifter with like 2wheel high 4 wheel high and low and so on i have no idea when to do each 1 other thing what sort of revs can they handle with stock engine are they high revs or low revs for gears cause ive had rotarys that love high but then ive had cars you change at low revs thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
G'day Brad03,

2 wheel high is for on road driving, meaning bitumen or other high friction surface. You can leave the front hubs unlocked or in the "free" position. When 2 wheel high is selected, drive is through the rear wheels only. Normal road speeds can be maintained in 2 wheel high.

4 wheel high is for driving on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, ice or gravel roads. Before selecting 4 wheel high ensure the front hubs are in the "locked" position. When 4 wheel high is selected, drive is through the front and rear wheels. Normal road speeds can be maintained in 4 wheel high.

4 wheel low is for very difficult terrain where maximum traction and torque is required. Before selecting 4 wheel low ensure you have come to a complete stop then move the lever into 4 wheel low. The same applies when moving the lever out of 4 wheel low. Once again ensure the front hubs are in the "locked" position. Road speed is very much reduced in 4 wheel low. 4 wheel low should only be used as long as is necessary.

When selecting 4 wheel high or 4 wheel low it is critical the front hubs are in the "locked" position. If not, drive will only be through the rear wheels even though the "4WD" light is illuminated on the dash. With the hubs in the "free" position the front wheels are disconnected from the axles therefore, no drive.

Finally, never, never, never ever drive on bitumen or other high friction surface in 4WD as expensive damage will result to the drivetrain. At the very least a rebuild of the transfer case.

Hope this helps you out. Suggest that your few first 4WD trips be in the company of experienced 4 wheel drivers, you'll learn a lot from them. Failing that look at joining a 4WD club.

Cheers
Footloose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks heaps man that does help alot really good explination one other thing what sort of revs does it like high or low revs if you can let me know that i think ill be right thank you again

·
Registered
29 Posts
G'day Brad03,

The difficulty of the terrain will dictate what revs you should use but the golden rule is slow and steady does it. If your revs are too high you'll end up going too fast and that's when you start breaking things when you hit obstacles off road.

On road it's a different matter, you're only in two wheel drive and you drive to the road and traffic conditions. You probably know that the 1.3 motor is a free revving motor and I've known some guys to get their motors to rev out to 7500rpm. I don't think I would like to do that too often.

Hope this helps you out and enjoy your Suzi.

Cheers
Footloose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts