Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been searching and searching for about a year now in the areas I have lived for a 1.6l and I am having a hard time finding one 8v or 16v. I ended up finding one yesterday but it was in a front end collision so I didn't bother with it. I currenly have an 86 samurai with the original 1.3l in it.

My question is this, I know there is a guy who rebuilds the 1.3l engine to almost match a 1.6l but, I would like to do all of this on my own. Does anyone know where I can find all the stuff I need i.e. the pistons, how much I should bore it and what I would do to modify the internals to gain more power? I am clueless when it comes to beefing up engines like that but I want to use this opportunity to learn it on my own or with anothers help. Also what else would I need i.e. header, New carb, TBI? I was planning on putting a my side with a 44mm harley carb into it because I already have the harley carb from my old bike.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I read about that outfit that will build the 1.3 to around 100hp but I have heard both hot and cold things about that. I think Suzuki Salvage also does them so maybe they can shed some light on it if you want to go that route. I run the 1.6 16v and delighted with it but even an 8v will give you around 85hp and it's a much easier install. To me it's worth a few extra bucks to have EFI.

The way I got the engine was combing CL for whole vehicles and I ended up with two running sidekicks for a grand total of $525 and swiftly harnessed the stuff I needed and parted the rest out. If you can pin down a rusted out or wrecked doner car you can harvest the ECU, harnes and a few other goodies you would need for a swap.

My concern is how much you might spend on the 1.3 vs how much you might spend to get a 1.6 installed and also get to enjoy fuel injection. Trail Tough makes a whole kit to slip the 8v or 16v into a Sami. I hope someone will chime in that has had direct experience with the pumped up 1.3L.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to do the 1.6l 16v but after a year of searching for a donor vehicle where I could pull everything from it I am to the point where I am giving that one up. There are tons of them out here just very few that get wrecked or if sold go for like 3k. That was why I was wondering about hopping up the 1.3.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I retract my previous statement. I just happened to get on craigslist and found an 8v full vehicle for 600. However upon researching the 8v swap I see a bunch of mixed shit with it i.e. some sites say you need modification of the wiring harness and speedo, some say you dont, some say you need a fuel pump some say it's only if you add a carb to it.. what gives? I'll have to do a really good write up on this for future people wanting to do similar.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The 8v is easier, it has TBI instead of EFI so quite a bit less wiring to deal with, you get a little less HP, 85 vs 100 with the 16v IIRC. But thats still a ton better than a stock 1.3. There is always value in simplicity IMHO.

I use a GPS for speedo in mine, I completely did away with the factory dashbaord. There are guys here that have done it and know for sure. I have never worked with an 8v swap personally so I hope someone that has can shed some light on fuel pressure requirements for TBI.

This should give you somewhere to start.

Samurai 1.6: Samurai 1.6 Engine Swap Kit
and
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-jimny-sierra-samurai-forum/53800-1-6l-8v-samurai-swap-guide.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts