Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sj413. standard carb with the auto choke.
She starts fine, first turn off the key and idles perfectly. my problem occurs whenever i start driving it. if im driving along trying to keep at a constant speed (not pressin down on the throtel) she starts missing and splutering real bad. if i lift off and press the clutch it will stall. but if i give it a few big revs it will then idel fine, and it seems to drive ok for a few more seconds and then repeat. when im really gunning the engine it seems fine and runs like normal.

Its just annoying when ever your trying to drive along on really rough ground and you cant go slow, it only seems to run fine when your going hell for leather.

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Depending on your locale it could be ice building up in the carb. I have an issue with mine that after a while in cold moist temperatures I build up ice in the carb and the only way to keep it going is to hammer the throttle. I seems that with the ice building up in the venturi it runs very, very rich and essentially floods itself. After knocking the ice out away I go again.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunatly i dont think that is the problem pig. It isnt that cold here for ice to build up in the carb. But thanks anyway!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
carb problem

first alway check the basics.all the vacuum line are on, the plugs, wires ,cap, ect are in good condition.

but it does sound like a carb problem. I have two directions here. 1. it is running rich and flooding 2, it is running lean and starving for fuel. the color of the sparkplugs might give a clue which it is. the fix for either usually is a carb rebuild. the things I check before jumping on the carb are fuel pressure and FLOW , the choke is opening and closing proberly, all the vacuum diaphrams are not leaking, mixture control soleniod is working, check for vacuum leak around base of carb and intake manifold .

·
Registered
94 Posts
My zuki just started doing exactly what you described and now the temps are above freezing. I found that all I had to do was cup my palm over the carb and create a vaccuum that sucked what ever was plugging the carb. I recently had run my tank quite low and I think that I picked up some crap and it got stuck in the carb. It is worth doing this because it is free. Just make sure you have a hand on the throttle to keep it running. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is funny you should mention the Zen thing. I had the same thing happen with my FJ40 when we were at the beach with the family. I couldn't get it going and this bearded guy with a beer came out of nowhere and did the palm on carb thing and then wandered off before I could talk to him! My wife joked that we were being blessed. I saw him later in a pub and bought him a beer and that is when he explained the whole crap in the carb theory!

I wish I had that Messiah thing going on!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now that you do mention it my zuki did get very low in petrol not to long ago either. i will try the hand over the carb trick and get back to you.

cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi just a quick thing i was wonderin if anyone could help?! i have a mate he owns a suzuki sj410 and it has a HUGE problem, you have to have at least 2000 revs at ALL times or it will just stall/cut out? Please if you know of anythin that would be great?! thanks!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts