Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Suzuki Swift 1.3 automatic - it seems I cannot use this new E10 petrol - I am unable to get onto the government website, the inside of the petrol cap only says unleaded petrol only and the owner's manual doesn't say anything so what am I supposed to do ?!

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
Based on what I have read, E5 petrol will continue to be available, although it may be more expensive, and may not be as widely available as E10 - you may have to pay more for petrol, and possibly have to drive further to find it (no the idea of having to waste petrol trying to find petrol does not appeal to me)

Your choices are to ...

a) accept the situation and make a go of it
b) get rid of the vehicle and use public transportation
c) replace the vehicle with one that runs on E10.

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
43 Posts
I have a 1996 Suzuki Swift 1.3 automatic - it seems I cannot use this new E10 petrol - I am unable to get onto the government website, the inside of the petrol cap only says unleaded petrol only and the owner's manual doesn't say anything so what am I supposed to do ?!
Hi Sue Cooper. At this time it may be of use to contact your local Suzuki Dealer and ask for information regarding E10 fuel for your vehicle. It may be possible that your Swift can be adjusted or adapted for the new fuel. If you receive a negative response then the next contact should be E-mail to Suzuki Cars to see what they say. Let the forums know how you get on because others will have the dilemma of fuel usage.

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
I'll certainly be interested in hearing how Suzuki GB deals with it.

I have no doubt that the vehicle can be adapted/adjusted to run on E10, I however do not expect Suzuki to offer such a service on a twenty-five year old vehicle, and I doubt that such a service can be offered at price that makes it attractive to the owners of twenty-five year old "econo boxes" - let's face it, we're not discussing a classic Jaguar E-Type here.

The task involved will be completely disassembling the fuel system and upgrading it using materials that can withstand the new fuels, after which carburetted engines will require "re-jetting" at a minimum, fuel injected engines, will require the ECUs to be "reprogrammed" and since the ECUs of that era are not flash programmable you're talking either replacement or removal & re-work by an electronic tech, and this is after the appropriate program (referred to as firmware) has been developed.

First question - are there enough twenty-five year old Swifts still on the road at this point to warrant the investment in man hours to make this happen?
Second question - how far down the priority queue would a twenty-five year old Swift be, given that there will be larger numbers of newer vehicles also needing similar changes?

I apologize if I appear unsympathetic or unhelpful, just being realistic with my expectations.

A "fast & nasty" workaround might be to run slightly higher fuel pressure or a "piggy back" ECU, both of which are commonly done by "enthusiasts" dabbling with turbo charging (this would have to be done after or along with the fuel system upgrade) and a new higher volume/pressure fuel pump might be required, but having said that, would this sort of "band-aid fix" be appropriate for owners who just want a reliable vehicle to get them from A to B.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Considering the octane rating is comparable its more than likely a complete rebuild of the system to handle the hose rotting feature of E10 on old rubber will be required at a minimum as Fordem has said.
Depending on the fuel system the car has fitted it "should " handle the mixture control and so on so ecm re mapping may not be required But this is not guaranteed

I know how corrosive E10 can be to fuel system components, if your vehicle is not designed for it, don't run it is the simple answer. Just because it can tolerate E5 does not mean it can handle E10

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like you I have a Swift but 2008 model. I have copied this from the Suzuki UK website. Now to find my VIN number.

E10 petrol contains up to 10% renewable ethanol, which is added to reduce CO2 emissions and help tackle climate change. E10 petrol is compatible with almost all (95%) petrol-powered vehicles on the road today, including all cars built since 2011.
General guidance on this subject is that Suzuki petrol models from model year 1992 are compatible with E-10 fuel. However it is recommended that you read the owners manual for 'Recommended Fuel' before filling. Later vehicles also have a sticker on the fuel flap showing the E-10 compatibility.
You can check your own vehicles compatibility by checking on the Government website; E10 petrol explained you can also find this information in your Suzuki owners manual under the Fuel/Oil section, it should state if your vehicle is ok to run on Ethanol blend fuel.
We have also supplied a list of earlier vehicles and their compatibility below:

ModelFirst 5 digits of VINE-10 Compatible
AltoMA3ECNo
MA3EFYes
MA3FFYes
MA3GFYes
BalenoJSAEGYes
Grand VitaraJSAFTYes
JSAJTYes
Grand Vitara XL-7JSAHTYes
IgnisJSAFHYes
TSMMHYes