Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter 2007 Forenza manual transmission started a crazy problem which has a good idle and a very bad ride.
The car engine when in idle runs a kind of smooth with no vibration or any other apparent problem. When driving the car have the most rough ride like a car with misfire or when transmission is going bad. The engine light came flashing very fast. We stooped at the local Autozone and the problem code was "misfire" and also "dirty injectors". I replaced all four spark plugs and cables but the problem still the same. I added injector cleaner to the gas tank but it did not helped.
So I am stuck not knowing what to check next. This problem started suddenly.
I need your help.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
ho. from your symptoms it sounds like your problem could possibly be the cam sensor. a few people on the forum have had similar problems when the cam sensor goes bad. if you look at the valve cover at the end of the row of spark plugs on the left there is a wire, thats the plug for the sensor. then theres a little door on the timing cover by the passenger side motor mount behind that is the sensor itself. i think you need a either a torx or hex socket to get the sensor out. i believe you unbolt it from the motor mount side than it comes out the top of the valve cover. let us know what you find out. any other questions just ask!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never heard about it before, it will be a new experience to me.
Only one question; the Autozone scanner should not give some code for this problem other than misfire and injectors?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
it will but only after the sensors dead. i think as long as its still working youll just get the missfire code. as for the dirty injector code im not positive. if the cam timing is off that could possibly mess with the injector cycle. i also wanted to tell you that injector cleaner is basically useless. the only way to clean the injectors is to remove them and run them through a machine made for cleaning injectors. the fuel pump isnt capable of the pressure needed to properly clean the injectors and if you put a solvent strong enough to clean them into your gas you would kill your motor. if you want them cleaned you should go to a mechanic and ask them if they have the machine to clean them. its also possible you have some crud in your gas tank and under load the pumps filter is getting clogged. maybe some went through the system and clogged an injector causing the dirty injector code. you probably should take it to a trusted mechanic who can check out a few things for you. keep us updated

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I took the car to O'reilly and check it again and the got the same codes but the guy who checked the car agreed with you that it is mostly sure that the problem is from camshaft sensor. I bought one which cost $56.00 and will replace it ASAP. When driving the car the symptom is really as one or more spark plugs are misfiring. The check gave also a code for random misfire. I agree with you that the cleaner is a waste money and I do not believe that it works the way that they say. After get the problem resolved I will let the site know it.
As I said before this will be the first time doing this kind of job and I will be very careful.
Thanks for your helpful support.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just started today removing covers and other parts necessary to replace my cam sensor.
I got almost done if not for the head ache to loose the screw that holds the sensor in place almost behind the gears of the cams. I tried many ways to get that loosen but could not get it done. I removed the time belt cover to see if make the job easier but the screw is in a location where we have only 1/2" or less to work with a star wrench. Finally I ended my day not having that screw removed. Since the belt cover was removed I will also replace the timing belt.
I need some help from someone in some other way to remove that bolt. I was even thinking in remove with a chisel and them install a new bolt with hex head.
Anyone have some better idea?
Thanks so much

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
you should be able to get at it. did you try a socket wrench with a flex socket? might be easier to get at the bolt that way. or a t handle torx? like the one in the link below
T Handle Torx from Sears.com
i dont think i would take a chisel to it. then youd be stuck with a stud youd need to get out, that may be harder. this may sound silly but make sure your using the wright kind of socket. maybe it a hexhead and not a torx? hope this is of some help. keep us updated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the bolt removed and the new sensor installed.
After get everything back in place I drove the car to see the difference.
For my surprise the problem still the same. I was expecting to get my engine running like a champ but it din't happened. I got back to O'reilly to scan and got the same error: "random misfire". As it was night and I need to do something else I stopped and will search for some other opinions form this forum. My time belt is somewhat old and I don't know if it the error is something related with old belt probably making the cam running out of time.
Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll bet money it's a blown head gasket. Are you losing any coolant? At the end mine was using about a quart every 50 miles. Never smoked out the tailpipe, never milked up the oil, but would use a quart to get to work and a quart to get home and sometimes twice that. If I left the cap loose on the coolant jug the system wouldn't pressurize, and the miss would go away but that's when it was using a quart per 50 miles. I couldn't imagine how much it'd use if the cap was tight. Have someone pressure test the cooling system and see if it holds pressure. If pressure leaks down but there's no leaks externally there's only one place it can be going, into the motor.

John

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hei 7-Even:
You are absolutely right, I was trying to remove the screw under the sensor that probably is for sensor location and not t hold the sensor. I got that torx removed easily yesterday and replaced the sensor. As I said on the last post I was not luck and the car still running as it was before. Any other idea?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey atc250r;
It never crossed my mind about the coolant system.
As far I know, my daughter had issues twice with this car with overheat problem when one hose blew out and she try to get home with the car. I had the hose replaced and since them, 06/13 she is driving the car without apparent problem. When this problem started I noticed that the coolant tank was almost empty. I added 1 full gallon of coolant yesterday after change sensor in order to drive the car to test for running condition.
Do you believe that coolant issues will cause "random misfire code"?
When driving yes it run like spark plugs not getting ignited. I just drove the car minutes ago and noticed that during the drive the car run as normal some short time and it goes to rough some other time in less than five seconds. The engine goes from strong to almost shutting down repeated times in less than a minute.
Any suggestion and help will be very good.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi Nyko46. a couple of questions/things to check. is there any smoke coming from the tailpipe? remove the oil cap and inspect the oil on the cap. is it milky looking at all? pull the dipstick, is the oil on that milky looking at all? when driving the car is there a strange sweet smell? ok so you said you filled the antifreeze, watch it for the next few days see if the level drops. also, because i forget, have you checked the spark plugs? is there oil on the wires or plugs? let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi 7-even: Tailpipe is clean like new and not smoking at all.
Oil cap is just wet of oil and clean oil. Dipstick just show oil but not milky.
About smell it is normal, nothing different. Spark plugs are clean and dry and cables are new and dry. As all Suzuki's, the oil leakage from valve cover gasket reach the spark plugs but not get inside of the cylinder. In my case I just cleaned that oil days ago but the engine still the same problem. I also checked if the coolant is oily but it is not. The level is as I left before.
The think that I most wonder is that this issue started with the car running.
I heard from someone that found similar issue in cars that had the fuel pump damaged and it caused loss of pressure to the injectors. I also heard that the fuel filter got so clogged unable to supply fuel enough to pump and injectors.
I believe that this kind of issues would not cause the engine to run from good to bad instantly.
Any other idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I was suggesting in one of my posts above that your gas tank might be dirty causing the fuel pump filter to get clogged. When idling or moving slow the car might drive fine but when you give it gas to exceleration or under, for example, highway speed the pump might get clogged. This could probably cause the injector code also. I think you might want to have the fuel pump checked. It's cheaper to change than having someone start on a head gasket.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where is the fuel pump and filter of the Suzuki?
Is it the one on the top of the engine near by the coil pack?
If pump is clogged can it be removed and cleaned?
A mechanic where I leave asked me $93,00 just to run a test in this car.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
The fuel pump is in the gas tank and the filter is on the pump. It's all under the back seat I think. Not sure about cleaning and replacing the pump and filter. I would think that depends in the condition of the parts. Maybe try a different mechanic and tell them what's going on. $93 sounds like they're trying to charge you for an hour of labor. Either way I think your going to have to have someone take a look at the car. If your gas tank is dirty it's going to need to be cleaned out. Don't think you can do that yourself. That might not even be the problem, it's just a guess as to what's going on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even become a little difficult I would like to resolve this problem with this forum help.
It would be a good lesson. I would quit just if the problem is something impossible to do myself like clean the gas thank.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
ok. so right now you have one of two possible problems. a fuel pump issue, or a head gasket issue. im saying head gasket because of the coolant loss and the past problems with the car. the reno/forenzas cooling system is known as a closed system. technically this means that you should never have to worry about adding antifreeze for the life of the car unless there is a problem like a blown hose or if your changing your coolant or something like that. so the car being out of coolant is not a good sign, it has to have gone somewhere. if its not leaking under the car then it went into the motor. when cars overheat its really not good to drive them. what can happen if the car is driven while over heating is that the head can warp. what happens then is that the coolant can sneak in between the head of the motor and the block and make its way into the cylinders. its gets burned off inside the cylinders but the motor really doesnt like it so it starts to run rough while its trying to burn off the coolant. thats why i was telling you to keep an eye on the coolant. heres a link to the online service manual. if you want to check the fuel pump, instead of going to a mechanic, or look and see how its done its in the manual. please just be VERY careful. to have the head gasket checked you can have a pressure test and leakdown test done. that can give you an idea of whats happening inside the motor. but the only way to tell for sure if the head is warped or the gasket is bad is to take the motor apart. any other questions just ask
Daewoo Service Manual

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My last update about the Suzuki with misfire code is what my daughter heard from a good shop repair today after they scan a car in their machine and, according with them, the problem is a malfunctioning coil pack. They used the terminology as ignition coil. They said that after replacing that part the car will run good again. They asked around $240.00 for parts and labor. They already charged $93.00 to run a test and will not deduct the charge from the repair. I will wait to see how good the car will be and will post the results in this forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts