Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody out there elaborate? Thinking of rebuilding a 8v 1.6L carby motor as a project in my spare time. When my worn out 1.3L motor finally dies i'll have something to slot striaght in.

Just wondering what difference in economy I can expect, that is, 1.3 vs 1.6? Running a carby too - not EFI.

I understand the performance benefits, but it's gotta be balanced out with a decent range of mileage and a motor that'll clock over 200,000 miles without a sweat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well for one thing the 1.6 is a better engine and will last longer all things being even...
(like - how many other engines don't have freeze plugs?)
Also remember the 1.3 will have to work harder to do the same work as the 1.6 does.
If you are thinking the bigger engine will use more gas because of the .3 larger displacement... you are kidding right? Take your time and do the engine right, then do the swap.
Not to mention you didn't say what your final gearing is and such... each engine has a different 'sweet spot' for RPM/power.
My 1.3 never died, it had about 175,000 of hard miles if I remember right. It just got tired. Ran nice and quiet, just not much umph. I think my mileage went up after the swap. I don't remember what it was as it was so long ago.
____
Don't forget the 1.6 will not exactly drop right in. You will need a kit if you use the sammy trans. When I did mine I dropped in the engine and 2wd trans with it. The 2wd trans from the sidekick is a larger more heaver duty unit and didn't need a kit. Still need to do some tweaking but no kit, but I digress.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The 1.6 makes much more torque lower down so you can run higher gearing. With around a 10% increase in gearing the 1.6 is just as good, possibly better, than the 1.3 motor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know much about the Suzuki 1.6 - but the fact i've seen a bunch of 1.3 powered Sierras/Samurais with what would be the equivilent of 300,000 miles means i'm reluctant to just ditch such a reliable motor. How much more (on average) are people getting out of 1.6s?

What is the best 1.6 option? I mean, i've heard of people putting a 1.6 head on the 1.3 block (or maybe it was vice-versa), then there's the 16 vavle 1.6's, the TBI and MPFI engines.... What's the best of the bunch? Forget about the EFI itself- I just want to know if there's a difference block/head design between the various models? I'm leaning toward a simple 1.6 8v due to it's simplicity and availability (and it'd be perfect for my LPG fuelled machine).

I reckoned that the 1.6 would be more efficient, and as much as I could pump up a 1.3, a 1.6 would be a better starting point all round. That said, power ultimately isn't what i'm chasing - I should have just bought a more powerful car if that was the case. But if anyone can tell me what MPG they're getting out of their 1.6 conversions i'd be grateful... I might consider it more if it's a more efficient alternative.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You are asking such an open question... mpg depends on so many other things, the engine is just a small part in the final number. You would need to match the same tires, gears, lift, weight, driving habits, etc. and with so many variables you will never get numbers from people that will then match what you want. You don't tell us any information on what you have done to your rig so how can we advise you? Take a stock rig, then stick 31's on it and see the mileage drop like a stone. Have the same rig and let two different people drive it... yea I know it all sounds like crap but it's true.

Remember it's torque, not HP gives you mpg. Torque is longer stroke. All you have is a big air pump. Make it easy for air to go in (intake) and out (exhaust) and you will have what you want. You also have the idea of saving $ and getting the most mileage, but if you invest $1,000 in an engine to save $700 in fuel over it's life... it's a loss. Build the 1.6 tight with decent parts and you will not be sorry. On my 1.6 I run the 1.3 intake and header. Want reliable? Change the oil like a religion. At any time most of my rides have over 200,000 miles on them. (except the wifes car, but it's not old enough yet.) My daily driver Rodeo has over 225,000. I gave my F250 to my bro-inlaw with 340,000 on it. Our Corsica has about 300,000 on it. My dad had a Olds with 550,000 on it when he finally sold it. Change the oil & filter and they will last forever. And yea, I'm a cheap sob. I keep things forever. Did I mention change the oil?

The most millage I've heard from Sammy owners are ones running VW diesel engines.
Some of those guys are getting 30, 40, and 50 mpg with power out the ars.
And remember, diesel engines last forever. Way, way longer than any gasser can dream of. Then you have the advantage of running filtered restaurant oil, old home heating oil, etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a stock Sierra as far as engine and drivetrain and suspension goes, K&N air filter (stock intake), extractors and 2in exhaust. Tyres are 215/75/15 BFGs (sorry for the metric - Aussie here remember). A little bigger than standard, but as big as I can go legally to stay roadworthy.

Car is a daily driver, farm runabout, and beach runner - in that order. I need the best mileage possible as it's a long walk between fuel stations where I live - even longer between LPG stations. Currently getting ~18MPG on straight LPG, but before my conversion I was getting around 25MPG on regular unleaded... not too bad, but i'd like to improve it if I can. If I knew more about throttle bodies and gas flow I'm sure I could punch this figure up a long way. Unfortunately performance LPG on small engines is a non-existing niche.

I'm liking LPG as it's got a better torque kick in the sub 3000RPM range where 80% of my driving is done (i'm no leadfoot, but not a grandma either) - the smaller engine really responds a lot better to the higher octane LPG fuel. Where I live LPG is under half of regular petrol/gasoline, but all things considered it seems to cost me around 2/3 of what it was to run.

I'm not looking for a dead-accurate MPG assimilation, just trying to piece together the pros/cons of the conversion for my purposes and see if it's worth it - economy is an important factor, but not as important as reliability. I'm new to Suzuki having been a Toyota Landcruiser man for a long time, but the fuel bills turned me sour... smaller cars are more manageable, and just as fun. Engine rebuilds are fun too - a better hobby than watching TV anyway.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You can put a 1.6 8 valve head on a 1.3 block for higher volume flow. It has larger intake and exhaust ports.

I don't know anyone making LPG conversions over here for MPFI suzuki engines, and the 1.6L 16 valve engine is MPFI. Converting it to throttle body injected LPG would be very difficult and involved. Converting a TBI 1.6L 8valve engine would be really easy. With an 8 valve 1.6 you don't have as much high end power as the 16 valve, but you have more low end torque than a 16 valve.

You will never get the fuel efficiency as high as a petrol engine, but the cost will be less as long as the price of LPG remains this much lower than Petrol. Downside is that you can't cary a Jerry can of LPG with you incase you run out of fuel. Actually, you COULD carry a small BarBQ bottle of it for emergency use, but it would take up room in the boot since you can't strap them to your tailgate .

(I think I managed to use non-American terminology through the whole post!)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I specifically didn't reference HP for that very reason... well actually.. I thought it was 'Roo power, but Koala works better for this aplication.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts