Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to post a thread for SX4 owners to report mileage they're getting...or kms depending on where you're from. My onboard computer shows average consumption to be 10.4 kms/100 l....I'm thinking that's a bit high, and hoping it works out to be better than that. I'm just working my way through my first tank with my new JLX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm half a tank in myself :p

Knowing how mileage improves after a few tanks, I'm ignoring this first one altogether, especially since I'm doing the "vary engine speed" thing for a few hundred miles. Doing a long trip this weekend though, so I'll report in after that!

Dan
Black Onyx SX4 5-speed

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, after about 570 mile on the clock, my "overall average" as measured by the car is 26.8 mpg. Doing the math on the mid-trip fillup was closer to 29 mpg...

5-speed, 95% 2wd, 75 mph highway 220 miles of the tank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First fill up

Well, the first tank went a bit quicker than I was hoping...good news is it was pretty cheap to fill. I ended up getting 10 litres/100 kms, which translates into just over 24 mpg...all city driving. I'm hoping things will improve a bit as the car breaks in. It's a little disconcerting watching the fuel gauge go down so quickly, but it's a pretty small tank, so it's to be expected.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After about 350 miles, the mileage computer shows an oveall of 27.5 MPG. I filled it up once, and that tank calculated to be about 26 MPG - SX4 AWD manual transmission - rural driving mostly with the switch in FWD mode.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For future reference (myself included, once I get mine !) It would be good to note the IAWD switch position you were in for most of your driving (2wd, AWD,lock).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. I was in 2wd the entire time for my first tank. My second will end up being a mix of 2wd and Iawd, as we've just had our first snowfall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Using the automatic AWD selection mode the whole time, in a 5-speed manual, I am averaging 29 mpg on several checks during more than 1500 miles. I don't use the computer, just plain old trip odometer and fill-up print out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still "breaking in" my auto JLX, and mostly doing some annoying city driving, all with the switch on 2wd I seem to be averaging 24.5 mpg if the car's computer is to be believed/trusted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Real-world MPG so far

My SX4 w/Auto trans. odometer is 1,100 miles. Real world average for my work commute has been 26.4 mpg. Daily roundtrip commute is 114 miles. I would estimate that 70% of that time is uninterrupted highway avg. speed of 65-70 mph, the rest local traffic (25-40 mph) with some bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go. Mostly flat terrain, 100% 2WD (it's been unseasonably warm and dry). I find a comfortable range of about 260 miles between fillups of regular unleaded gasoline which today averages $2.20/gallon (Northern NJ).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Add 16% to your fuel mileage

After reading all these threads on fuel ratings, I thought to myself, man, do these cars suck back the fuel. It finally dawned on me that the ratings were all in US gallons. I then looked in my owners manual and found the section where it says that the computer readouts are in US gal. Because of my age I tend to use MPG's instead of L/100 K's. After a short period of straining my brain I have come up with a conversion chart for the old schooler's up in Canada. 8L/ 100K= 35.5 MPG, 9L/100K = 31.7MPG and 10L/100K= 28.5 MPG. The US gal is 84% of an IMP gal. ( We can thank the queen mother for that one ) My fuel economy just got 16% better and I didn't have to change my driving habits! At the moment I am getting about 34MPG (imp). I have been noticing that the the outside temp has a great impact on the fuel consumption of these cars,more so than others I've owned.The biggest differential has been about 6 MPG (imp) between tanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FARMER said:
After reading all these threads on fuel ratings, I thought to myself, man, do these cars suck back the fuel. It finally dawned on me that the ratings were all in US gallons. I then looked in my owners manual and found the section where it says that the computer readouts are in US gal. Because of my age I tend to use MPG's instead of L/100 K's. After a short period of straining my brain I have come up with a conversion chart for the old schooler's up in Canada. 8L/ 100K= 35.5 MPG, 9L/100K = 31.7MPG and 10L/100K= 28.5 MPG. The US gal is 84% of an IMP gal. ( We can thank the queen mother for that one ) My fuel economy just got 16% better and I didn't have to change my driving habits! At the moment I am getting about 34MPG (imp). I have been noticing that the the outside temp has a great impact on the fuel consumption of these cars,more so than others I've owned.The biggest differential has been about 6 MPG (imp) between tanks.
I though the display can switch between US & Metric? Also, are you saying the MPG goes down becasue it's cold? I think that's because you are warming up the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do switch back and forth between metric and MPG,but I prefer the MPG readout's because that is what I am used to. I am warming it up more in cold weather,but I also notice an increase in consumption via the dash readout while driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In colder weather the car's rolling resistance will be more due to the lubricants in the drive train thickening up, tires will have less air pressure, etc. Also the cold enrichment will stay on longer - it will take more gas. If your driving is primarily short trips, the effect is even greater.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have been tracking my mileage like a hawk as this is one of the main reasons for purchasing it - I do not rely on the dash readout - I fill my tank up EXACTLY the same way every time and re-set the trip odometer EACH fill up and then do the math on my calculator. I now have 3000 miles and changed the oil at 1850 miles to FULL synthetic 5w30 and keep my tires inflated to 40psi. I have the AUTOMATIC sport model and drive it in 2WD quite timidly. I live in the country so there is a lot of driving on 55mph back roads and some 65-70mph interstate driving and a bit of stop and go in the city. So far the BEST it has gotten is 31.4mpg and the worst 25mpg. I am hoping this will improve a bit over time and when it reaches 7500 miles I am going to change the rear differential and the transfer case to 80w-90 FULL synthetic AMSOIL GL-5 gear lube as this is supposed to help mileage as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts