Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at my suggested maintenance interval for my SX4 I noticed that Suzuki recommends oil changes every 7,500 miles. Does anyone know why 7,500 miles instead of the standard 3,000 - 5,000 miles?

·
Registered
26 Posts
After listening to all the advice out there, I have settled on 5K miles for one simple reason. Easy to keep track of when you are due. Plus it is a nice compromise on the two extreme recommendations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always been A "every 3K" guy, but I went synthetic, and now change every 7,500 miles. While expensive (50.00 at my local shop, and the local Walmart), I'm seeing my milage go up around 1.25 miles. I thought the 7,500 mile recomendation for a 4 cyl is little off, way to much breakdown after 5K

·
Registered
143 Posts
$50 at wal-mart? youre nuts, i get the 5 quart jug of mobile 1 or penzoil full synthetic at wally world for less then $20, and a filter for under $5.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you use conventional oil go no more than 5K/6m and all should be fine (unless you have lots of idling) if you go to synthetic use the 7500 mile number or a year and all should be fine.

If you want to get into oil check out BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) lots of interesting stuff and used oil analysis info to sort through. Rough distilling will lead you number close to what I gave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That a great price, I have never seen Mobil One below 29.99 plus tax for 5 qts plus filter (at Pep Boys with rebate), but that 50.00 at Walmart is after all taxes (its just under) , for Mobil 1 Extended Performance full synthetic (not a blend), and I'm doing no clean-up, no mess, and no disposal. In my work truck (Ford 250), I'll scoot under it and change my own oil (plenty of space), but at 50 years old, not worth the time and mess.

·
Registered
388 Posts
After much time on the BiTOG I'd stick with regular Mobil1 and be done with it. USed to be cheaper and give better long drain interval support. Some have suggested a large slug of groupIII oil (Highly refined dino called syn) versus very small amount in the regular stuff.

I will not bas the Mobil1 brand though even though I use Pennzoil Platinum (Which is a groupIII LOL). Mobil1 is great oil.

As far as most cars 5K for oil change and tire rotations is a great mix, as the oil will perform well to their. You can push 7500 on dino if you have a route like mine, which is 43 miles to work at 55-65 MPH post most of the way and little traffic.

Synthetic you can start looking to 7500 on your way to 10K.

·
Registered
235 Posts
FYI, the owner's manual says 3,000 miles for oil changes on the "severe" service schedule. "severe" basically means "real" driving, where "normal" means "only highway"

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's interesting. This same discussion goes on at
my MINI forum, except the recommened oil changes
using castrol 5W 30 is 16k-18k miles.
Many people have decided 7500 is the compromise
between recommended and playing it safe.
A couple people routinely have their oil tested.

I'm planning to change on the SX4 5k to 7.5k miles.
(whenever it can be worked in)

I've not done it yet though. I am considering just changing the
filter at 5k miles, and the oil and filter at 10k miles.
I don't want to invalidate the warranty. But speaking from
experience these $40-50 oil changes get old. (assuming
$5-6/qt for oil, plus filter)

·
Registered
235 Posts
pushing the oil chaange beyond the 7,500 miles recommended in the owner's manual under "normal" service is exactly what will lead to denied warranty claims.
The only reasons BMW's (and therefore MINI) can go 16,000 miles between oil changes is that they use LOTS more oil*, they require very high-grade synthetic oil, and the oil/lubrication system is much more extensively monitored. In all current Suzuki vehicles, with the exception of the XL7 (not entirely a Suzuki anyways), there is no monitoring of the oil life at all.
Even using top-notch synthetic oil won't allow you to practice extended oil change intervals without placing your warranty in jeopardy...and with a 100k powertrain warranty, that's not something you want to risk throwing away. Now, I'm not saying that using very good oil and filtration setup won't protect your motor well beyond SMC's recommendations (it can), but they will very much see the long intervals as a reason to deny your claim should the time comes when the motor goes south. Then you're left with an extremely expencive repair to totally pay for yourself. (i.e. replacing a Grand Vitara 2.7L will run as much as $15,000)
~Erik~

* as a rule of thumb, doubling the capacity of oil an engine uses will nearly triple its lifespan. As an example, a BMW 335i has a 12 quart sump (nearly 3 times the capacity of the SX4), and some of them even come with oil coolers, reducing the stress on the oil even more.

·
Registered
389 Posts
pushing the oil chaange beyond the 7,500 miles recommended in the owner's manual under "normal" service is exactly what will lead to denied warranty claims.
The only reasons BMW's (and therefore MINI) can go 16,000 miles between oil changes is that they use LOTS more oil*
~Erik~
Before getting too hung up on the 7,500 mile recommendation note that Suzuki have changed that to 15,000km or 9000 miles so there's nothing magic about 7,500.

The BMW mini uses about the same amount of oil as the SX4 ~5 litres.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In my warranty book it says every 5000k or 3 months or which ever comes first, I am following the book just so the dealer can't come back at me. One little known fact is you can do the service yourself as long as you keep the
receipts to prove you have purchased said products.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To each his own.

I personally would never go 7500 on dino oil, I am not confident the filter is still filtering effectively at that point.

I once ran my wife's PT one year on syn, but she drives less than 2,000 miles annually. Since hers is town driving, I take it out on the road occasionally for a 20-80 mile run to cook off the junk. That was Mobil 1, I changed to Royal Purple with a Mobil1 filter this fall.

While I don't own a Suzuki, I did drive one for the runoff election, but my KIA Spectra won. I changed the oil at 700 miles and just changed it again at 4000. I'll probably go to the dealer for a 7,500 service just so he doesn't have any excuse to deny any warranty claims, which I hope to not have anyway.

IMO an oil and filter change is cheap insurance, wiser to spend a little extra than risk running dirty oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MOBIL 1...... EXCELLENT Synthetic oil

I am in the aviation industry and nothing but synthetic oils are used due to their high heat anti-coking abilities and they are not hydroscopic(will not hold water in suspension) nor will they oxidize and break down over short periods of time. If you plan to use synthetic, let your engine break-in with the DINO oil through the first couple of oil changes. I will be using synthetic for all oil changes at the 5000 mile interval. Has anyone used the synthetics (75w90)in their differentials?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Riddle me this Batman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I can understand the manufacturers putting a mileage limitation (say 7,500 miles) for an oil change. Obviously the oil's qualities break down with use.
However, why have a time limit (say 7.5 months)? Does oil break down just sitting in the oil pan? There are new vehicles sold all the time that were manufactured 1 or 2 years prior to being sold. The vehicle might only have 2 miles on it but the oil is way beyond the "expiration date". If the new owner doesn't immediately change the oil is the warranty voided? Of course not. So what's with the time limit?
I don't do that much driving, 3 to 4k a year and have changed the oil (full syn) along with a good filter (PureOne) once a year in the last several vehicles I have owned. Could probably take it out to every other year if I wanted to, with no harm. Again, this is with full synthetic and a GOOD filter. I just enjoy crawling under there every spring, gives a chance to inspect the undercarriage, suspension etc.
Basically, I think the motor oil companies have convinced (bribed?) the auto manufacturers to place meaningless time-frames regarding oil changes. Mileage, not months, should be the determining factor of when to change out the oil.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've always been A "every 3K" guy, but I went synthetic, and now change every 7,500 miles. While expensive (50.00 at my local shop, and the local Walmart), I'm seeing my milage go up around 1.25 miles. I thought the 7,500 mile recomendation for a 4 cyl is little off, way to much breakdown after 5K
$50??? Its cheaper than that at the dealer.....it is at our dealership anyways.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can understand the manufacturers putting a mileage limitation (say 7,500 miles) for an oil change. Obviously the oil's qualities break down with use.
However, why have a time limit (say 7.5 months)?
I've always felt that the time limit for an oil change is more of a guideline for people who drive "average" milage (12-15k per year), so they have a milage and an approximate timeframe to get the oil changed. God knows this still doesn't help people get their oil changed (I just changed out the factory oil and filter from a Forenza with 17,000 miles on it).
Newer cars that have more sophisticated oil life monitors still say in their owner's manuals to get the oil changed at least once per year, even if the monitor system doesn't deem it necessary. My understanding is that while the oil doesn't go "bad" per se, just sitting around or very easy driving will build up contaminants as well, such as moisture condensation.
~Erik~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts