Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
There are extractors for damaged nuts that should/might be able to remove those, once the wheel is off, the studs aren't too difficult to replace.

·
Registered
Suzuki XL7 2008 ft wheel drive
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are extractors for damaged nuts that should/might be able to remove those, once the wheel is off, the studs aren't too difficult to replace.
Thanks Fordem.

I will check for extractors on line. What size do I need or is there a set required to handle what is left of my wheel nuts?
My entire explanation of how these nuts got the way they were apparently didn't appear with photos of wheel with two hacked nuts/studs. Could you send photo(s) of extractor kit for XL7 2008?
I had typed this problem created by careless owner getting up in age of small shop with new handy man! Not sure who jacked up my two wheel nuts/studs

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Id make the shop that damaged them fix it.

Reactions: sunray88too

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Thats a simple in saying very difficult in practice statement

Extractors may work, in my experience they are only effective in about 50% of cases. Many times you need to grind the end of the stud with a burr, to get a centred starting point and drill out the stud to get the bits of remaining nut out to release the wheel. Once wheels off, its relatively simple to replace the studs.

Getting the wheel off however will be fun.

The one in your 4th pic looks like they have already tried welding something to it to help get it out.
Extraction of that one might be impossible

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Fordem.

I will check for extractors on line. What size do I need or is there a set required to handle what is left of my wheel nuts?
My entire explanation of how these nuts got the way they were apparently didn't appear with photos of wheel with two hacked nuts/studs. Could you send photo(s) of extractor kit for XL7 2008?
I had typed this problem created by careless owner getting up in age of small shop with new handy man! Not sure who jacked up my two wheel nuts/studs
Thats a simple in saying very difficult in practice statement

Extractors may work, in my experience they are only effective in about 50% of cases. Many times you need to grind the end of the stud with a burr, to get a centred starting point and drill out the stud to get the bits of remaining nut out to release the wheel. Once wheels off, its relatively simple to replace the studs.

Getting the wheel off however will be fun.

The one in your 4th pic looks like they have already tried welding something to it to help get it out.
Extraction of that one might be impossible

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,123 Posts
This is what you need, if they are too mangled you will need to grind them out..
Product Cosmetics Rectangle Font Red

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AKA "findtheanswers"
2013GV
Thanks.
I will get a set of burrs and extractors try them.

Mechanics small shop caused two wheel nuts/lug nuts nightmare on my 2008 Suzuki XL7, 86,000 miles. Second owner since 2014. They told me brief explanation said bring back in a week then they banged on it some more and torch! Said need to get better torch head and maybe replace wheel hub he said might be easier than replacing studs he probably thought he would hsve to tear up hub to get hacked studs and studs off with cutting torch! The owner/mechanic wasn't clear about what he had to do next or how he would do it but he gave estimate of about $460.00!
I got a rear wheel hub from PartsGeek. Hacker said he would replace easier after hacking off nuts and studs!
If I hack things up I might need a new hub assembly?
Product Font Gas Circle Transparency

Product Font Gas Circle Transparency

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AKA "findtheanswers"
Aquanaut
This is what you need, if they are too mangled you will need to grind them out..
View attachment 107875
Thanks Aquanaut20
I will get a set and if grinding and drilling doesn't work.
It is very difficult to see from my photos what is still there to work with!
I will let you know.
<GV2013 had similar recommendation.
Thanks. I will hopefully be able to do maybe some help in our driveway.

A little additional history
Mechanics small shop caused two wheel nuts/lug nuts nightmare on my 2008 Suzuki XL7, 86,000 miles. Second owner since 2014. They told me brief explanation said bring back in a week then they banged on it some more and torch! Said need to get better torch head and maybe replace wheel hub he said might be easier than replacing studs he probably thought he would hsve to tear up hub to get hacked studs and studs off with cutting torch! The owner/mechanic wasn't clear about what he had to do next or how he would do it but he gave estimate of about $460.00!
I got a rear wheel hub from PartsGeek. Hacker said he would replace easier after hacking off nuts and studs!
If I hack things up I might need a new hub assembly?
View attachment 107876

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fordem had similar information also.
Thank all of you. I hopefully will carefully follow all of your suggestions and get it repaired. Try to get paint to make cosmetic fix around wheel hiles

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
Extractors are not the answer. Save your money. Given the fact that the nuts are so seized on to cause the destruction of the lug nuts, then extractors won't stand a chance. That is assuming that they would even fit / grab within the confines of the wheel opening, which I doubt they will.

Stud on-center punch marking and / or a carbide burr operation to achieve stud center is first and foremost. Then followed by a drilling operation using small to incrementally larger drill bits only out to the stud minor thread dimension and nut depth, when at that point the nut will surrender its position and the wheel will be released. After that, it is a matter of replacing the affected studs or the entire hub assembly. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts