Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 88 sammy with stock engine. The mechanical fuel pump is giving me trouble so I decided to put an electrical one in there. I 've found some conversion guides including Ack's.

My question is, can I just throw any electrical fuel pump on there? The only pumps I've found down here are for fuel injected engines (Mitsubishi, Nissan Sentra) and I'm worried about the high PSI of these pumps. If I understood correctly I only need 4-10 PSI while these pumps have upwards of 30 or 40 PSI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
30 to 40 psi will be way to much. It will over ride the float and flood fuel everywhere. I'm not sure if there is a way you could lower the pressure enough for the carb. I run a weber carb now on my samurai and have a pressure regulator in the line set at just one and a half pounds comming from the stock fuel machanical fuel pump. It might be possible to put a tee in the line between the electical pump an the carb. With a regulator between the tee and side carb set to low pressure and the other end of the tee running back into the return line to the tank. The pump will run all the time but it might keep enough fuel to the carb side to work. Then again you might have to use a smaller return line to the tank side to keep a little back pressure in the line so the carb regulator won't cause all the fuel to just run the return route. I'm just guessing here and I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I did find an appropriate pump, a UC V4 is what they call it here, gives 3 psi. I'll try to find a regulator in order to drop it to 1.5 psi. No return line from the carb though, do I just plug the line with liquid metal or something similar?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congrats on the find. With just 3psi it maynot require a return line and just stops when max pressure is reached.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts