Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to install a good temp gauge in my 87 but all of the aftermarket mechanical gauges the probe is too big... was trying to install it on intake manifold where the stock one is. should i look at ordering a electrical gauge ? i got my oil pressure one installed and working great its a mechanical one and was really easy to install in the block, but this water temp is one that i would really like to have seeing that the stock gauge doesn't work along with everything else is this $500 beater, so if anyones has a aftermarket water temp please fill me in on the brand and everything you did to get it to work.

side note, anyone run an aftermarket tach ? how hard are they to hook up. i have only hooked up aftermarket ones on way newer cars that i could tap into the ecu. do i just hook up a wire to the coil on the samurai ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
99% of temp gauges are electrical, the sender in your manifold is fine for the task (if your dash has a temp gauge that is), just wire up the new temp gauge. If it doesn't, just replace the temp warning sender with a auge sender and away you go.

Rev Counter is just as easy. You will have 3 conns on the back of it (plus illumination of course) Positive, Earth and Coil input. Most should come with instructions anyway, it is all pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Easiest way is to remove it, get some warm/hot water and a multimeter. Set range for 0-500ohms. put it in the water, and the reading should drop as the sender warms up. At 50 degrees it should read 133-178ohms, 80 deg 47-56ohms, and at 100deg (boiling water) 26-29ohms.

Not that I forsee being sued over the titnterweb, but be careful when juggling the sender, your meter and boiling water ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool man thanks for the info i will run that test and see what i come up with .. turns out i have a cracked head or blown headgasket so i will be fixing that this weekend also ... fun times for the 500 dollar samurai

1 - 5 of 5 Posts