Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Suzuki Vitara VIN ETD31V, model SV420D. Engine code Mazda RF Turbo Diesel.
I've been searching high and low but I can't find an answer. There is an 8mm ID coolant hose that goes from (or to?) the thermostat housing to (or from?) what I suppose is a heater matrix in the intake? Right under the throttle body(tps). It then goes out of that and to the bracket, no 3 on the exploded drawing below, this bracket is the one that connects the cabin heater core to the engine coolant system. I've removed it and red fluid came out so I'm sure it's coolant. Kind of obvious as it's connected to the thermostat housing. I think there is an auxilliary valve on the thermostat that opens when the thermostat is closed and vice versa, and that the throttle body includes a heater matrix to help in... cold engine running/idling in very cold weather? It wouldn't be helpful at starting the engine though since it needs the coolant to be warm to heat anything. Unless you have a webasto/preheater. Actually the reason why I want to know what this loop is for is because I'm converting to run on wvo and wanting to add a coolant preheater and I already have almost all parts ready so I need to know how this cooling circuit works.

The hose I'm asking about isn't in the exploded drawing at all, I haven't been able to find it in any other drawings either. I've also looked through both the original 1989 service manual and the 1996 dated SV420D service manual, this hose that I'm looking for is nowhere to be found.
Font Slope Parallel Auto part Monochrome

Here's some photosI've found on the internet.The hose is the one above the injection pump, about 10cm (4in) long, between the thermostat and the throttle body. Also you can see the return (or possibly the inlet for it?) in the back, top right in the photo. The bracket that it returns (?) into is hidden behind the hoist strap.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Nut Machine

Here is the rear of the engine. Here you can see the bracket that I think the coolant returns to. The two disconnected hoses are for the heater core.
Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Machine

Ignore the text in the following photo. It's not mine . The disconnected hose in the middle of the photo is the one I'm talking about.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Tire Vehicle brake

Does anyone know? What is the direction of flow, what is the function of it, and is there actually an aux valve that closes as the engine gets warm? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
I cannot answer your questions as I’m unfamiliar with the but wonder if you should be looking at the engine diagram, rather than the coolant diagram, for your query.
Something like this:

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the Mazda engine was fitted in the early Grand Vitara's 1998-2000 as well. This is the flow diagram from the SQ420WD workshop manual if it's any help.

Organism Font Auto part Rectangle Map

1 - 6 of 6 Posts