Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a bit of a jam. I just drove from salt lake to San Diego. Our Forenza overheated twice in our journey. I did not let it get to the red line. I added the appropriate fluids twice but could not find a leak nor did I see any white smoke. Two days before our trip I replaced the MAP sensor. Today I started the car and it was misfiring and the coolant was empty.
I removed the air intake and noticed coolant in the intake plenum. I'm guessing its from the throttle body? I see that coolant runs through it.

Has anyone seen this? I have brought some tools and I am confident I can fix whatever it may be. But I don't want to remove the throttle body unless I have to. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm very far from home and don't have a lot of cash. Ty

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi welcome to the forum! i doubt replacing the map sensor has anything to do with your current over heating/ coolant loss problem. yes coolant does run through the throttle body but only to keep it warm in winter and its a sealed tube. it runs in one side and out the other. you should check the hose going to the throttle body but i dont think that its the issue. have you noticed any coolant under the car or on the outside of the motor? besides overheating is the car running normally? you should check all your hoses while the car is cool. squeeze the hoses see if there dry or cracked. make sure theyre all connected. theres one hose on the back of the motor under where the hoses come off the valve cover. that one likes to brake. then you can let the car warm up to operating temp. and make sure the fans come on and that when the coolant starts to circulate it not leaking anywhere. turn on the heater and make sure its blowing hot air. on the drivers side of the motor next to where the spark plug wires plug onto the coils there is a vertical cylinder, coolant also runs behind the mounting plate for that. look around that area and make sure theres no leak or liquid. also inside the car feel the carpet in the passengers and drivers foot area see if its wet or damp. did you notice a kind of sickly sweet smell while driving? the coolant could be burning off. now what your going to need to do is check the oil. remove the oil cap and look at it, see if the oil looks milky at all. also pull the oil dipstick and look at the oil on it for the same thing. sounds silly but also check the reservoir cap, make sure its on correctly. if not the system wont pressurize and it wont work correctly. the coolant has to be going somewhere. its either leaking outside or into the motor. if you cant find a leak anywhere its possible that you could have a leaking head gasket. let us know what you find. any other questions just ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for having me. And responding

I should first apologize for the choppy sentences as I am on my phone. I knew that the MAP sensor was an effect of the cause. I have worked as a mechanic for around 8 years. Mostly for a Hyndai/Mitsubishi dealership and at a private shop. It's my wife's car and I have trained her on how to scan for codes. It had apparently been setting the code P0117 or P0107 and she cleared it and forgot to tell me. I pulled the MAP sensor and it looked rough. I just threw one on and it seemed to work. I left on this trip I'm on now and that's when it overheated.
So after pulling the air intake off I could see and smell coolant in the plenum. It is definitely coming from the throttle body but I can't see where. So today I walked to a Home Depot and bought a 3/8 male to male fitting. I bypassed the the lines that feed the throttle body for a temporary fix to get back to Utah. I drove it about 50 miles today and the more I drove it the happier it felt. I just didn't know if anyone had heard about this or if it was a common thing. I super appreciate your feedback. I was starting to get worried.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. No problem. Hope everything's fixed. You don't need to have that hose connected to the throttle body. It's really only to keep the butterfly valve from freezing in extramarital conditions. If that was the problem you should be fine now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You

That's awesome news. I really appreciate hearing that. While that's what I figured I wasn't sure. Now I can drive home with some comfort so thank you. :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yep if you are driving in temperate climates, bypassing the throttle body coolant lines will not cause any problems. I've had mine bypassed for 6 years and never had an issue with the T/B. I live in Canada too so I see some decent winters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts