Suzuki Forums banner

Do you prefer (or have) a stick shift or automatic?

• Stick shift (manual)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Automatic

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Other (hybrid, semi-automatic, tiptronic, etc.)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watcha got? When I was younger, I was all about having a stick shift. When raising kids, automatic was the way to go. Now the kids our out of the house and I want a toy vehicle to tinker with, I'm thinking of going back to a manual but the practical side of me is get a spare car that's automatic so my wife, and kids when they're in town, can drive it instead of renting a car.

So take the poll and feel free to comment as to why you prefer one over the other, whether for you Suzuki or other vehicle (and feel free to add what car you have since this is in the general discussion).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I set this poll so you can choose more than one. My XL7 is automatic but my Soul is semi-automatic, but driven in automatic mode most of the time. I have no stick shift right now but would like to get one maybe.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I'm with you, in school, it had to be a stick.
Now it depends on the vehicle, I love getting on the freeway in the Trans Am.
Once I've entered the onramp if I'm not careful I'll be going way too fast when it's time to merge. The auto gets out of first somewhere around 40, if I'm really in the pedal. (quiet, she doesn't know)

Not me driving, but you get the idea.

Then the trucks fun to drive with a 454 and overdrive.
Same with the 94 Tracker, it's a fun automatic and just seems like it's going fast.
I do like the 99 Tracker with a 16 valve, five-speed with a rear air locker, it's the fun one.

Then there is the 2002 Grand Vitara, it's such a dog with an auto, although I'm not sure a stick would help.
I guess it depends on the HP.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
445 Posts
I find it hard to believe the TA will do that with 4.10's.

Oh and auto for me. Years of riding a 3500# clutch in traffic back before they invented hydraulic clutches convinced me. And after busting my left foot up, clutch is pretty much out of the question without paddle shifters.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Yeah, probably a fake video.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Poll only allows one answer.

ok, i'm gonna confuse you now, Stick in the 2013, auto in the 2015 and the HG, direct drive in the race car, and 2 sticks in the truck (Mack 5 +4 for those that want to learn how to drive one)

oh, only use the clutch to get moving in the truck, and not very often in the 2013 hehe

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
I have both, stick in the 98 GV, four speed auto in the 05.

I learned to drive on a stick, back when automatics were rare in this neck of the woods, all my kids learned on a stick, and I'd say that's our preference as a family.

Having said that, back when an automatic was a two or three speed "slush box", they were lousy - today's electronically shifted autos are much nicer, and also much more efficient, and I quite enjoy driving them, especially in heavy traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I set this poll so you can choose more than one.
The first sentence in the second post by ngrome.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The first sentence in the second post by ngrome.

Don

^_^

i can select manual and auto, but not more than one of each, and "none" is not an option either

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
and "none" is not an option either
Aawww darn,

the injustices!!

:lol:

or . . . . none, is the default multiple to any of them.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
4,148 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Manual all the way. I ordered my 2001 BMW 325i in late 2000, taking delivery in early 2001. I wanted a rear wheel drive sports car with a manual transmission. The kicker is that I needed four doors since my second daughter had just been born. Only options are the sports package, sun roof single disk CD player and rear fold down seats with a ski bag for my hockey sticks. Heck, I even have manual seats (though they are awesome, ten way adjustable sport seats) and lack crusie control. It's a driver's car and after 17 1/2 years and 211,000 miles, I enjoy it as much as the day I took delivery. I'm so figity by nature I even prefer it in rush hour traffic because it gives me something to do when I'm sitting in grid lock. Of course, when I know traffic will be a bit backed up I take the back roads with fun to drive hills and curves. I've been known to take the back way at times even when traffic is fine.

Long story short, automatics bore me to tears. That and I prefer the added control I as a driver have over my car vs. a car trying to have control over me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts