Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have just bought a 1994 suzuki escudo for my dad
which i am trying to get back on the road after being parked up for a few years..
anyway it has manual locking hubs and they are stuck.. its impossible to rotate the center caps on both of them
i partially stripped one this evening and found the internals to be very dry and almost rusty looking..
im just wondring if there is a tutorial somewhere on how to strip and clean them correctly..
i was checking on here but some of the older threads had links to websites that no longer exist

·
Registered
587 Posts
Bex posted this one a while ago. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much.. i will give it a go tomorrow.. i never marked it before i took the outer case off so hopefully i can get it back together lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, this has been discussed a lot recently, so just look through the latest posts and/or do a search for "HUBS". You may have stripped it, but maybe not. They may just need to be re-packed -- detais are in the shop manual for your model. I had to work on my hubs a couple of years ago. I was able to clean and repack one of them, but the other was too far gone, but replacement hubs are easy to get and not very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
The video that Peculiar posted will help you. The guy in the video does everything with ONE hand....lol. You’ll need to take all apart, clean all the parts, and reassemble. Be very careful you don’t lose the little ball bearing! Watch the video a few times maybe, before starting out. It’s easy enough to do, even if you haven’t marked the positions. When you go to insert the cleaned hub back on the car, it will only fit on in two ways, each way 180º from each other, so it’s make sure that the wording (lock, unlock, etc.) is on the top.
By the way, when you grease them (after cleaning) do it moderately - you don’t want the locking hub clogged up with grease.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The video that Peculiar posted will help you. The guy in the video does everything with ONE hand....lol. You’ll need to take all apart, clean all the parts, and reassemble. Be very careful you don’t lose the little ball bearing! Watch the video a few times maybe, before starting out. It’s easy enough to do, even if you haven’t marked the positions. When you go to insert the cleaned hub back on the car, it will only fit on in two ways, each way 180º from each other, so it’s make sure that the wording (lock, unlock, etc.) is on the top.
By the way, when you grease them (after cleaning) do it moderately - you don’t want the locking hub clogged up with grease.
cheers bex.. i stripped the first one.. having difficulty separating the outside casing that you rotate with the ball bearing so i will look at the video again a few times for ideas.. ust got it sorted it needed a little helping hand with a few taps of the hammer and the wooden handle from my wire brush lol

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
There’s a little spring under that ball bearing, which can fly out. Ask me how I know this....lol. Anyway, glad you are getting it sorted. Hold on to that video above. You should clean the hubs each autumn, and it will be a good reminder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi just to update everyone.. i stripped and cleaned both of them and they appear to be functioning correctly.. i will try them out once i get the overheating issue sorted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts