Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and to the Suzuki Samurai. I bought a 1988 Sami that was 100 percent stock, as it would have been from the dealer, with 100,000 miles on it. The original owner kept it garaged and only towed it from place to place. So, my first project is to make this car have enough pep to keep up on the interstate so I can take it on some decent distance trips. My first question is; is it possible to give a Samurai some extra power without completely swapping a motor? If it isn't, what is the suggested motor to swap with? Would adding a bigger Carb. on it do much on it's own? Also if anyone could suggest a decent suspension and lift kit for a Samurai that would be great too. I plan on taking this car 3 hours out to D.C. this weekend do you think it will make it ok with stock parts? It's in amazing shape for its age, the worst thing wrong with it is that the Heater doesn't work. Which, I have already found is a bad heater core. Thanks for your time.

-Antonio

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
samurai does just fine stock. When you start sticking big oversized tires on it then you really feel the lack of power. Gearing it down helps a lot. Reduced transfer case gears are very common, so is a differential re-gearing.

Camden makes a supercharger for the samurai, but it's not cheap. (it is compared to other superchargers, but for tight penny pinching samurai owners it's expensive) I've seen a few budget junk yard turbo samurai builds. You can put an aftermarket carb on it and it gives it a little more pep. Putting a side draft CV carb on it gives the little engine a lot of pep. You won't be smog legal in most emission controlled states though if you do any of these intake alterations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for help, I'm glad to know my trip to D.C. will be good. I'll be glad to take the top off in the, soon to be, good weather. So, one more question for anyone. My ultimate goal will be to re-gear both the transfer case and the differentials. Also, I would like to add a few inches of lift and bigger tires, not sure how big just yet, and I'm going to add power steering including a larger battery, alternator, and larger gauge wires for the wiring harness. My question is, after having read all of this, does anyone know of a good way to add power steering? Is there a kit, or do I need to junk yard the parts out of a newer geo or jimmy?

·
Registered
278 Posts
ALL of you're questions have been addressed on this and many other sites many times.
Learn to use the search button.....
Welcome to the board. Have a fun trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You will double the HP with bolt on GSXR kits. Get better gas mileage too.

Not that hard to tune if you have the tools and good carbs. I did 19' burnouts with new 31x10.50 Trxus MTS. No tellin how long a stock tire will smoke. You will bury the speedo if you have the nuts to drive it that fast.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You will double the HP with bolt on GSXR kits. Get better gas mileage too.
NOT TRUE.........

May add 20-30% But I'd have to se the dyno # to believe that.

To set up an engine to run those carbs correctly will require re-cam-ming the engine and extensive exhaust mods.

Not to mention the head porting and valve train work.

If it was that easy we would ALL HAVE GONE THAT ROUTE LONG AGO.

Look, you bought a Samurai. If you wanted a Porsche you should have bought one.

The 1300cc hp can be increased in small increments very easily.

A cam , exhaust and carb upgrade, ( Webber, Toyota, CV, or Holley 5150, All work nicely.

Some work better than others off road.

NONE will double you're HP.

That costs real $$$$$$ Talent and time.

Any one telling you any different is blowing smoke up you're nether region....

The 1300cc Suzuki motor suffers from the same problems ALL Suzuki motors are prone to. Week crank case journals.

If you push it past 100hp plan on stress cracks in the block.

Just realize that no matter what you do to you're rig. IT is, and will always be a utility vehicle. Not an economy car and defiantly not a race car.....

This is how you double the HP in a Samurai.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know where to begin. You are clearly uniformed and should be before making blanket statements as you have. Do the research for I am not going to go over the thousands of posts to prove a known point.
Start here. Search for:
4wd and sports utility magazine article on the Samurai Guy Wild Bore GSXR kit.

My personal Sammy site. Click on the various links throughout.
Sammy
Ask anyone that has seem my Sammy and how it can keep up with or blow away built 16v's with cams and headers. All on a stock Sammy motor down to the 1.375" tail pipe except with the carbs.
29' burnouts picts with brand new 31x10.50 Truxus MTS. The car.

The rubber laid. There was no braking during these.

Fastspec2 dyno results. Thread starts. Some dyno numbers.
Link to results image.

There are multiple threads on the forums of my builds.
GSXR Lives! - Zukikrawlers

Samurai Guy "Wild Bore" set up???
The evolution from the SG intake kits I had with over 168000 reads and 78 pgs of tech.
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=70640.0[/URL

As for why everyone doesn't have some kind of GSX kit on I can only speculate. The main issue is the $1300 cost, the fear of spending another few hundred on tuning tools and the know how on how to tune multiple carbs. I would of thought that if anyone told me they could double the HP on a $1300 investment I would of told them they are crazy but sign me up.
Just like the cable locker I made and it was tooted as the best product that was ever made for the Sammy but try to get a cheap ass Sammy owner to fork out even $400 for a Proto one is beyond me. Let alone the $900 it cost me to make one.

I have put well over 140000 miles on my intake kit, and driven the locker for 20000 miles without issues. Even yanked out 7000 lb stuck expedition Land Cruiser FJ80 with 30 snatches without him being under power 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I see alot of the links from Fastpec2 have been removed. Some are there if you right click on the image and open in a new tab, Then click on continue to media link.
He built a spec motor and dyno'd many different setups with the same motor. New close to stock engine put out 40 hp to the wheels and 78 with no elaborate tuning put out 78 hp. I have the pictures on my other hard drive of the multiple run test results.
There is also a good bit of info from other guys who built their own setups on Pirate too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The fact that you can : and I quote: Blow away a 96 hp 16v is not impressing me or any one else in the know.

And showing a pic of burn off tracks???????

WOW . Are we in grade school here....?

Honestly, I cant think of a better way to not be taken seriously when discussing OFF ROAD RIGS.

You are claiming a 100% hp gain with carb only conversion?

Bull shi-.

Any competent engine builder would never make such a claim.

I do and have built multi carb engines for well over 30 years.

If I was going that rout on an off road rig.

Which I never will.

I'd go Mikuni , Webber or Delorto , 40 - 48 DCOE's.

And only after a cam , piston , valve , head , and exhaust system had been prepped for the build.

We , as a group , spend much more than $1300 on engine upgrades on a regular basis.

So, I don't think that is the reason no one is lining up to bolt Gikser carbs on there Samurai.

A set of Delorto 48'ts and a Cannon intake can run as much as $1500.

The problem is : flutter . Multi carb set up's are a pain in the rear off road.

Oh and as to the tooling to sink the carbs .

Ever herd of a Unison?

About $25. And fool proof.

I have never seen you're " cable locker ".

But as an engineer, I am interested.

Post it up on a new thread so we can have a look.

Sorry for the sketchy pic .

This is an L-20 B with 48 DCOE Delorto carbs, a Cannon intake , 30 over boar ,Flat top pistons , an s-19 cam , A-87 big

valve closed chamber head ported to the Cannon intake, H beam rods, ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC. Around $4000 .

Stock an L-20 is 110 hp . This one is conservatively 180 hp at the crank.

But more than double the TORQUE.

There are no short cuts in this game.

And just cause we are showing off rigs:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I could only find one dyno image in my HD. I know I had a few more but just can't find them. I probably just linked them to other sites from Fastspec2's posts. This is a comparison from a 32-34 Weber to GSX600F. In all fairness the AFR on the Weber was not very good but if I recall he just couldn't get it any better. The best comparison was when he went from stock to GSX. AFR was good on both carbs. May have to ask him to post up results again as they are not on his Photobucket anymore.

The fact that you can : and I quote: Blow away a 96 hp 16v is not impressing me or any one else in the know.
Than what does?
And showing a pic of burn off tracks???????

WOW . Are we in grade school here....?
No just having fun. Comparing stock carb rubber to GSX setup

Honestly, I cant think of a better way to not be taken seriously when discussing OFF ROAD RIGS.
I thought we were talking about getting some more HP for the street? I do wheel the carp out of my Sammy. 20+ hours a week in the dirt. The carbs work great off road for what I am doing with them.

You are claiming a 100% hp gain with carb only conversion?

Bull shi-.

Any competent engine builder would never make such a claim.
Unless he has dyno tests to back it up which Fastspec2 has. As I said, I wouldn't of have believed it either. Double HP for $1300 bolt on for anything is unbelievable. Just goes to show you how much the Sammy is under carbed and over restricted.

I do and have built multi carb engines for well over 30 years.
I respect that. So have I. I worked for Andy Granatelli in the dyno tune shop, J&S Porting, Black Star Racing, Camel Works Racing plus build all my own stuff being I am a poor ass Sammy owner but have a full machine shop to play in.

If I was going that rout on an off road rig.

Which I never will.

I'd go Mikuni , Webber or Delorto , 40 - 48 DCOE's.
So you have no personal experience using these carbs off road. I have tons. The Weber, Delorto are junk off road. CV is the only way to go for a carbed motor, especially for big altitude changes and very steep grades.

And only after a cam , piston , valve , head , and exhaust system had been prepped for the build.
You just don't need to do all this. It will help for sure but just a bolt on carb will impress. I am not a fan of big exhaust for torque reasons.

We , as a group , spend much more than $1300 on engine upgrades on a regular basis.
Well I guess I have been posting my tech and results of stuff I made on the wrong sites.

So, I don't think that is the reason no one is lining up to bolt Gikser carbs on there Samurai.
What do you know about marketing Samurai products? Ever try to sell anything? I gave up trying to make a living selling Sammy stuff. The market just isn't there unless you get things made over seas. Huge investment, little market and high risk.

A set of Delorto 48'ts and a Cannon intake can run as much as $1500.

The problem is : flutter . Multi carb set up's are a pain in the rear off road.
Or for that fact any carb with a float bowl. Zenith was the best carb for rough service as far as I know. Duel Zeniths were a pain in the butt to keep synced with the linkage being the biggest issue. The CV works best for barometric and altitude changes. The Mikuni's work very well for crawling. Not so good for the whoops but most Sammy's have little to no up travel so the ride is pretty rough. I get by pretty well. Nothing is perfect in every condition. MPFI works best but there is lots to go wrong too and trailside diagnosis and repair can be very difficult and spare electronics need to be packed on long trips.

Oh and as to the tooling to sink the carbs .
SYNC
Ever herd of a Unison?
Unisync?
About $25. And fool proof.
I have had very god luck with mine and I keep it in my Sammy tool box. To really tune these you need to do all 4 at once. For tools I was mostly referring to a WB AFRM. Real time monitoring is utmost important on multiple carb setups without a plenum between carb and head.
I have never seen you're " cable locker ".
Samurai Cable Locker.AVI - YouTube
But as an engineer, I am interested.

Post it up on a new thread so we can have a look.
I'm not going to market these until I can get the costs of MFG down. Even with the addition of several new machines I just don't see this happening. I couldn't sell one for the cost of the raw materials let alone the actual costs and especially costs plus profit building only a couple at a time. There are a few select part pictures on my shopping cart at the bottom. I'm keeping the bearing collar under wraps. I am working on a full floater now and light weight portals are next in line.

And just cause we are showing off rigs:
I was not showing off my rig. Just showing a pict of how it was setup at the time of the GSX install.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I never sed I have no Gixer experience. Actually I have a huge amount of time and money into multi cylinder bike engines.

I don't just build Zukes and jeeps.

Have built sand cars , custom quads, dwarf cars , custom bikes , road race cars , you name it , we've built it and raced it successfully for years.

I cut my teeth at Riverside wrenching on Newman Haas cars and engines ( Datsun ring any bells ).

Jamming copious amounts of fuel and air into an un prepared engine has never and will never work. Do the math.

If you're theory was sound we'd all have 100mph lawn mowers with Gixer carbs.

Look I have nothing to prove here.

I se no reliable data on any of you're claims.

I se no ( OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS ) articles on the conversion.

I have tons of experience with the tech you speak of.

And I know how to make HP.......

If you knew me you would realize that I am not a ( as you seem to love to state ) cheap Samy owner with no $$$$

And claimed dyno # aren't very impressive ether.

Any one who ever ran the electric turbo or MOST power chips can attest to that.

As to marketing parts .

Yes I hold several patents. Have worked in the Warren / Quicker stables designing and prototyping various products.

No I have no experience marketing any Zuke parts.

Why any one does for such a small market is beyond me.

I build MOST of my own conversion parts for all of my builds.

Now that I have qualified my credentials.

We come back to you're claim that a 100% THAT"S a 100% hp gain can be accomplished

by simply bolting a set of GSXR carbs to a STOCK Zuke 1300 with its poor flowing head,

It's smog legal restricted exhaust , and it's in antiquate ignition.

I call BS.

Now let's stop hijacking this thread and get back to simply answering the PO's question.

Oh yea. I already did......

·
Registered
22 Posts
What ever. All I have heard you say is bullshit and no real tests of your own to discredit any of these guys real world claims. Even vids of build from 4wheel magazine, Dyno snapshots and other physical evidence can't convince you. I have given you allot of data from different sources and my personal experience and you still are calling me and everyone else who has successfully did one of these conversions and liar.
Go crawl in your little hole and shut up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You're argument has no credit to de-bunk in the first place.

None what so ever.

As to tests to dis prove you're claim????

How about 100 + years of known engine science. Thousands of automotive engineers, and I don't know how many

competent engine builders .

I guess they are all a bunch of knuckle dragging dumb asses. Right?

I,m sorry. It just doesn't pencil out .
The rest of you're last post speaks to the author. And his true abilities.

Again: Love to se the tech on you're locker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts