Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Tracker 4 cyl 4d 4wd 5 spd manual.

I JUST bought it yesterday. And this morning our temp was -22 It started but took a lil bit to do so. Would a magnetic Oil heater work to Help it start easier?

Ill put a frost plug one on this summer but for the rest of the winter id like to not tear into the engine lol. Also is there a heater of any kind that would work to warm up the tranny fluid a lil bit? ( SUPER THICK)

Thanks for reading this. I hope i get some feed back ive never had a Tracker before.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
I use one on my Fork Truck, attached to the oil pan. Works great in our rather moderate winter temps, and I'd suspect fine in more adverse climates. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
Regarding the temp sending unit, check the single red wire at the thermostat housing, which plugs into a single spade connector at the front of the housing and see if it is a good connection. Congrats on your new purchase - as your weather is pretty cold, make sure that your battery is well charged, also. You may want to actually check and replace fluids, as the car is new to you (aside from other maintenance - never assume that a previous owner did anything!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spade wiggles just the slightest. Would that mean that its bad? I crimped the plug a lil so it would bite on the spade but its not reading anything....

And Im going to do a fluid check first day its above 0 ( no garrage) Or possibly take it to (gulp) the quick lube in town.......

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
To test the circuit...

If you disconnect the spade connection and touch it to ground (w/key on), the temp gauge will peg to max, IF the gauge is good. ;)

If the gauge responds, then yeah...it's the temp sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok it was going to bug me.... so i went out side and tested it. Yep grounded the gauge works just fine. Pegged to HOT. So its the sensor that needs to be replaced.

If i take the old one out will it drain a bucha fluid or just a small amount? Id rather not have to burp a system when its this cold. (still -10 here)

Back to my original comment, is there a heater made for tranny's ? ( really stiff this morning due to cold.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
is there a heater made for tranny's ?
Not that I'm aware of. Yes you COULD mount the Mag style on the bottom of the pan if it is non-aluminum, but it would protrude. You'd have to remove it before driving, in other words. I don't think that there is enough flat surface to mount one anywhere else.

I also feel that tranny heaters are not a needed accompaniment, FWIW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea i never had one either. I just thought if they made one shifting durring -20 weather would be nicer. LOL It was fine yesterday, today in the cold its stiff UGH not Horrible but dang ! Its been a while since I've driven a stick on a cold day! I havent left the yard with it it getting titled and reg later today.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yea i never had one either. I just thought if they made one shifting durring -20 weather would be nicer. LOL It was fine yesterday, today in the cold its stiff UGH not Horrible but dang ! Its been a while since I've driven a stick on a cold day! I havent left the yard with it it getting titled and reg later today.
Time to change the gear oil in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Synthetic is great but you can also use one of the many additives to get you out of the cold times.
We used to have to park the truck with the transmission in the gear you needed to get started going.Too cold to move the shifter (-65) but it would warm up after a few feet enough to make changes. Never used the emergency brake cause it'd freeze on, and you'd never get it to release. Put lightbulbs close to parts and that helps too. Those were the days, still have the habit of no park brake, hard to teach an old dog.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
That's cool TT. We all had to start somewhere. Glad to help.

I just noticed that you have the earlier Zuk (I'm more use to fielding guestions on the newer ones like mine) so the links referencing plug locations and such you may find different on your ride. Other than that, same procedure for the most part.

And Smee! -65...THAT is cold! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.