Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instant I start up my Suzuki Jimmy 2007 it revs up and down, falls to 1 revs up to 3. The garage says its the MAF sensor but when I disconnect it myself it does the exact same thing, so I think I just ordered a replacement for no reason. The problem persists through all gears, it seems to just want to punch the engine into its highest gear.

Could it really be the MAF sensor? What else may be the problem?

A bit of background: The garage had to pull apart most of the air flow manifold (is that correct) to get at a coolant leak on the o ring of the water pump and intake valve. When they put it back together, they gave me back the car with this new problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
With that being said that would be your intake manifold. I would double check that there are no leaks on the intake manifold before I start anywhere.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
you have an air leak between the MAF and the engine, i'd suspect the inlet manifold gasket / o rings especially considering the problem has only arisen after those parts were disturbed. It is not the MAF sensor as you have proved by disconnecting it.

The shop that did the work should repair it for free since they have created the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys:D

I'm thinking they had no idea and just made up the MAF problem.

How do they check for the leaks in the intake manifold?

Do you have any specs on this section of the engine?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Which engine do you have? The 1.3 models don't have a MAF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 1.3 L M13AA engine Spanish. So I have a MAP? (I'm learning...)

Attached is the piece my garage told me is broken that I've ordered. When I un screwed it myself, the piece looked brand new and the pin on the inside looked clean as a whistle, but maybe its still kaput.

I've tried to unhook it again and it does change the sound of the engine a bit, but it still seems to be caught in the high revving.(what's a better way to say that?) This leads me to believe that maybe the problem is the sensor but also with another major vacuum leak. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
That's a MAP sensor, you can test it by backprobing to measure the voltage. When you unplug it the ECU will revert to fail safe settings, it does sound like it could be a vacuum leak but there are a couple of fail-safe modes that will set a high idle. Is this an OBD2 model?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm almost positive my 2007 is an OBD2 model. I think thats how the garage decided to tell me that it was the Air Flow Sensor Denso 197400-2230 because they hooked up there mini computer to see what was acting up. But I suppose it could be the MAP sensor as well, or what other electronic components could make my engine rev incessantly?

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's definitely a Map sensor. I am somewhat unfamiliar with this vehicle but I would hop straight to the basics first. Normally you check vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner on the manifolds, all the cracks where the vacuum hose meets, etc. However Since this is an OBD2 vehicle which it should be because it is a 2007. I would use brake cleaner instead of the harsher carb cleaner. Also with that being said if you have availability to a scanner I would pull codes to see what codes are coming up in your computer. That would give you a general Idea as to which system to start at. I am pretty sure you may have a vacuum leak though judging by the way you described how it started. Spray brake cleaner on every single place you might think it is leaking starting at the intake manifold. You will know there is a leak because the idle will change slightly. I would also back probe that sensor and check voltage at the map sensor to fully determine if it is faulty like Rhinoman stated. That will give you definitive proof if there is an issue with it. I am not sure the voltage it should have a service manual would be the best bet to find that info which I am sure other could chime in on. you might even be able to get it off this site for no cost just dig around a little bit.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
However Since this is an OBD2 vehicle which it should be because it is a 2007.
It depends on what market the vehicle was built for, if its a Euro model then it will be EOBD, if its a general export model then it will be OBD1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just to clarify, if the piece that I've been talking about since the beginning is the MAP sensor, what is the sensor thats connected straight into the intake manifold?

Rhinoman, my Jimmy was made a Santana motors in Spain, but quite possibly for export as I bought it here in French Polynesia. What is the difference between these on board diagnostics?

I'm not sure wether to bring the car directly back (before I receive the new sensor) to request more diagnostics or if I should wait for the part. I have no tools to do these tests so maybe its better to bring it straight back to the garage?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You can use a cheap tool on an EOBD vehicle, EOBD is pretty much the same as OBD2 but with additional diagnostics. If it is an OBD1 model then you need a genuine Suzuki dealer tool which is very expensive. The market code should be shown on the VIN plate. Most diagnostics can be done with a cheap digital multimeter. The FSM for the 2007 models is only available through the Suzuki Service Portal but I have access to that and can get data.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was thinking the same thing after I posted that cause I normally don't have too worry about that issue as I have a snap on scanner that covers everything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts