·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hello ,
Im from New Zealand and Ive just chucked (literally ) an m18a in my little jet boat . Ive looked all over the net but cant find the maximum timing advance for the damb thing so I can correctly set the distributor . Can anyone help me .?
(This isn't a trick question if your wondering)

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37777&stc=1&d=1411116283
I wasn,t aware that any M18A engines had a distributor, I thought that they were all timed from the crank sensor.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
that looks like an M13a? definitly not a standard suzuki engine with those carbs. If it has vvt its a swift, if it doesn't its a 1300 cc jimny or ignis engine. Capacity will tell you the model, all have vvt except for the 13a (if my memory is any good)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The motor in the videos is a 2001? M15a vvt motor out of an ignus.
I got rid of the stupid carbs and fitted a single Toyota carrola carb in the end.
Ive since changed too a M18a out of a Suzuki Aero (2003 ? ) and swaped the carb and distributor over.
We can get the motors for about $400 in New Zealand from auto wreckers and I thought id have a go at getting something together for as little as possible .
So far
m15a $200 M18a was $550 :p
carb $80
Distributor $60
Drive shaft adapter $100 and leads $20 .

The exhaust is the stock manifold flipped upside down and jacketed.
M18 pulls 5500rpm and over 70kmph in the little boat.

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
Like Rhino says the M series engines (at least those fitted to the export market Ignis) didn't come with a distributor - they had wasted spark distributorless ignition systems - ignition advance was handled in the ECU.

He may be able to tell you what the maximum advance in the ECU tables is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Rhino says the M series engines (at least those fitted to the export market Ignis) didn't come with a distributor - they had wasted spark distributorless ignition systems - ignition advance was handled in the ECU.

He may be able to tell you what the maximum advance in the ECU tables is.
Thats what i was hoping to find out if someone here can help.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
OK, I'm now at a PC that hasn't got Youtube blocked so I can see what you've done. I don't have tables for an M18 engine, as far as I know it was never used in any models in the EU, it seems to be an Aus/NZ oddity.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I can't see why it couldn't handle 15-20 degrees, whats static? 6-8? has the toymota dizzy got any vac advance? or is it only centrifugal? (that would suggest it would only go to about 5 degrees above static. thry experimenting, and check the plugs after each run for signs of blisteing or melting tips. It sounds ok as it is in the vids.

If it starts pinking its too advanced, that holds true for any engine in my experience. It also depends on the valve overlap too, i'm running 22 degrees static and 48 at full advance on the '383 but that only pulls 10 inches of vac because of the overlap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Im not running the vac advance, don't need it.
The mechanical gives me about 5 deg at idle and 25-28 all in at 3000 rpm .
The plugs looked good on the M15a and no pinking so ive set the M18 up the same.
2013gv - I like the way it sounds too , the exhaust is 63mm strait through with all the water going through it too.
Without my VVt working , the timing advance figure for a stock injected engine would be of no use too me would it , or would it still be relevant :huh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts