Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara JB420
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JB420 made for UK market
Getting a drivetrain noise that I think is a faulty output shaft bearing.
So it's probably time for a transmission rebuild.
Question is though, is the VIT5 rebuild kit (ZMBK293BWS) I see round the internet the right one for my transmission?
I see multiple sites saying it fits Vitara/Sidekick/Tracker 1998 and later, including current Grand Vitaras, but I also see many more that don't include the 3rd gen GV as compatible.
There's also a reference to a 65mm bearing (which I can't confirm) and a horizontally split housing which came on the older Vitaras. Cross referencing the diagrams to the kit, it looks about right, but I'd love to know more if possible.

Seeking advice from those in the know.
Is the VIT5 rebuild kit cross compatible with our AR5 transmission?
If not, is there such a kit, or do I have to buy parts individually?

PS. Before anyone says "just open it up and see" I don't live in a large first world country where I can always go down the street to buy replacement parts same day, ordering this kit could take several weeks and I'd like to have a firm idea of what I'm doing before I put the car up on jack stands again

·
Super Moderator
14,267 Posts
My first inclination is to say, it won't fit, but that is based on knowing the second & third gens use different transmissions, and the BK293 kits fit the second gens, I see my "goto" transmission parts supplier (transpartswarehouse) listing the kit as being used on later models, so what I'll do when I get a chance to sit down is pull a list of the bearings used in both transmission and compare them. I'll get back to you later today.

Reactions: FirstTimeMods

·
Registered
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara JB420
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
Bless up, mi G

·
Super Moderator
14,267 Posts
OK - now that I've had a chance to look at the parts catalogs a little more closely - I have used the BK293 kit on a second gen and know that it is correct for that application, I would be hesitant to purchase it for a third gen GV - not only are the bearing numbers different, there are significant differences in the way the transmissions are laid out internally - the shortest shaft on the earlier transmission is the input shaft, on the later one, it's the output shaft.

Reactions: FirstTimeMods
1 - 4 of 4 Posts