Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys! I just came across an article on differential designs. It then occured to me to consider the offroad capability of my 4x4 mini truck...hmmm...

Anybody who has been in a situation where one wheel slips as in, one wheel is stuck in mud while the other wheel is planted on the ground? Do our trucks have the Limited Slip Differential (LSD)? What design? What's a safe way to try this out in my truck?

·
Registered
78 Posts
LSD equipped differentails are standard issue on 4wd carry trucks. For the 2wd drive models, we get an open diff. You could check if your differential is LSD equipped by jacking up the rear wheels and putting it in 2wd (for 4wd vehicles). Make sure you have stabilized your vehicle and put it in neutral to avoid damge and/or injury. Turn one of the drive wheels and if the other wheel on the axle turns opposite to the direction you are turning, you have an open diff. If both wheels turn toward the same direction, congartulations, you have an LSD equipped diff installed in your ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm...bads news for me because the rear wheels turned in opposite directions. The standard LSD in Carry 4x4 is of the spring pack and a set of clutches type? If this is so, there is a possibility that mine is burned out, right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's a litle trick i learend driving offroad without LSD, differential lockers or traction controle.

When you're stuck, but only a little 'push' away from getting out, put 'm in 1st gear (or L/1 on auto) let the wheels spin and gently press your break in. The equal amount of breaking on both the spinning as the still wheel will result in the same effect as traction controle, by adding friction (resistans) to the spinning wheel, the open diff will devide the power to both wheels. Giving you artifial traction controle/lsd.
Dont over do this tho, as it digs trough brake pads like a hot knife trough butter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sad to say, the wheels turned in opposite directions. If the Carry 4x4 LSD is of the spring pack and clutch type, does this mean that mine is burned out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it turns the opposite direction, it is not LSD. Burned clutch packs would make the wheel stay still or be easy to hold.

I work on a lot of 4X4s. I own one myself. I have never seen an LSD. I have seen a few with a mechanically locking differential, but no true LSDs. This info that 4X4s have locking differentials may well be true in Manila, but it is not true on the vehicles I see here in Dumaguete, most of which come from Cebu.

Larry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys!

I have seen a few 4x4 trucks here in bacolod having on its tailgate written Limited Slip Differential. All of which seem to have their original white paint on them. I'll take some photos of those trucks and compare their diffs with mine and check if there are differences in the housing.

Lar, my truck's 4x4 lever has the 2H-4L (push) N-4L. Can you enlighten me on these. I have tried engaging the front wheels when my truck was lifted with the hydraulic lift and it works fine. Problem is, there seems to be only two stops on the lever. I can't click onto the 4L (4-wheel low, i assume) or N.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One of two things.

A; There is a problem with your cable linkage.

B; You don't have a dual range transmission, just a dual range shifter.

I'm not familiar enough to tell you how to visually tell from memory, however, on the very rear of the transmission (on top) a cable should attach to a lever. Remove the cable and move the lever manually. Does it have three positions or only two? If it has three, it is a dual range transmission and you have a problem with your linkage. If it only has two positions, it has no low range.

Larry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have seen that lever on the rear end. I'll try to remove the cable this weekend and manually move the lever to see how many stops it has. Thanks very much for the info.

Btw, I have flushed my cooling system and it now has the 50:50 water-coolant. The mix looks like a beverage from Smallville's meteor rocks...seems to glow in the dark because of its neon green color. I have a small radiator tank so only 1 and 1/4 liter of coolant was used, that includes the coolant reservoir. Sad though, i wasn't able to check the upper radiator hose to see if there is a thermostat...it's very hard to access.

The forum is helping me a lot because up to now i haven't sought help from a mechanic. I'd like to tinker the truck myself...except maybe if it's beyond my powers. Thanks again Sir.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I finally installed an LSD in my pickup earlier this week. The external dimensions of the differential are the same as the open one. I could say that my truck has better traction than before and I think the diff has a taller final drive ratio than stock rear end.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting input you got there Mang Caloy. With a taller final drive ratio, does it mean that you can attain a higher speed with the same RPM or does this mean that your truck has more low-range speed/torquer? Btw, how much was the LSD?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't have the exact address. It's the subdivision along Aguinaldo Highway right after (or before, depends on where you're coming from) the arch between Imus and Bacoor. If you're coming from Dasmarinas, once you pass Robinson's Imus on your right, the arch would be around a kilometer down the road and the subdivision would be on your left, just right after the arch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mang_caloy said:
I finally installed an LSD in my pickup earlier this week. The external dimensions of the differential are the same as the open one. I could say that my truck has better traction than before and I think the diff has a taller final drive ratio than stock rear end.
Do you know what vehicle the diff was originally from? Was it a Suzuki part, from a Carry 4wd, or from a different model Suzuki?

Here in New Zealand, we only got the 2wd van and the 4wd pickup (1000cc or 1300cc), but without a lsd afaik. I've only seen mention of a manually operated diff-lock on the 4wd - afaik that only switches between fully open and a fully locked (i.e. no differential action at all), whereas a lsd should vary the amount of locking and only lock fully when one wheel has no traction at all.

iirc a locked diff makes the vehicle hard to steer, as it wants to drive the vehicle straight ahead (because both wheels turn at the same speed).:(

I'm interested in using the Carry axle in a small sports car, and the lsd option would be fantastic. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious about 4WD mechanism.

Hi Guys,

I am new here and been following your discussion with interest. I've been wondering how the 4WD works on this mini truck.

If I am not mistaken, on this vehicle the diff is integrated with the transmission, and obviously being a tranverse engine it will only drive either the left wheel or the right wheel depending where the bottom end of the transmission is pointing.

Is there any transfer case involve ? ... How ?

Forgive my stupidity ... but I shall be very happy if anyone of you can educate me.

Many thanks
:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts