Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am considering buying a Jimny, and am still undecided between the auto and manual. Now I have read a lot of posts on this specific topic, and whilst the general consensus is that the manual IS better for off road, I am still leaning towards the auto. Whilst I will be going off road, for me the comfort of the auto in the city will outway the slightly better off road capabilities.

I forsee my use of 60% urban/city driving, 25% highway and 15% offroad (of which 90% will be on sand).

My question is: Is there low range on the automatic model? I know the gear lever has a low setting, but is this just low gear? Will it get me out of sticky situations (i.e. super soft sand)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes the automatic has low range gearing and it's good. I had an automatic 99 model Jimny for 6 years.

Some people prefer Auto and some Manual. I think there are pro's and cons with both. I chose auto so my wife can drive it and because its less stressful in traffic.
Some may disagree with this but in my experience, auto's are better on sand.
Reason being that I find you don't lose as much momentum between gear changes as you do with a manual.

There is no real correct answer to the auto/manual argument and I've had many disagreements regarding this subject but at the end of the day, I've never been bogged in sand.

The Jimny performed well though knee height river crossings, in mud and steep inclines. Never had any issues. Sand was fine although very bumpy because the car is small and light. You might prefer low range in sand as you sometimes need the extra torque due to the little 1.3.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It all depends on you're driving style.
An automatic in some cases is an asset. Power delivery is much more consistent.
The only situation where an auto is at a disadvantage is on ice and hard packed snow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts