Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 2.7L, when starting up, the oil pressure light flickers sometimes for a second, and for one second I can hear how the engine is running without or low pressure.
I don’t notice it on a cold start, probably because it revs higher and picks up pressure quicker. But on a warm start I definitely hear how it’s running with insufficient pressure for a split second and the light flickering for about one second or less.

What do you think could be the cause? Clogged pickup? Bad oil pump? Bearings? I don’t really now where to start or how to troubleshoot, i hope there is an easier way then pulling the oilpan to narrow it down.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
What viscosity oil are you running??
Does the oil smell of fuel (Dilution) ??
Have you installed a hard line oil gauge ??
What kind of filter are you using (fram) ??

·
Super Moderator
17,901 Posts
Probably not an issue. ;)

See...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
5w30 castrol, Oil Filter Napa Premium with anti drainback. I have some Mobil 1 filters laying around, time for a change?
I don’t think the oil smells like fuel, but I have a bad nose. It doesn’t seem like I have more oil then I’m supposed to have, but again only 120 miles after the last change. No pressure gauge yet.
I am worried it’s not the lifters, because the sound I get sounds deep and paired with the oil pressure light flickering I’m afraid it’s from the bottom end.
It’s not a tick-tick more of a bassy grumbling.
I don’t know if it’s doing that since I bought it or since after the tensioner change, I think it was probably overshadowed by the chain rattle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I should install a pressure gauge.
Do you know where I can find the sending unit?
Is it correct that I just replace it with the pressure gauge?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so i just started it up and following happened.
It was doing like knock-knock-knock five or six times and everytime it knocked the oil light flashed on. All of that happened within 2 seconds maybe.
I guess my best bet is to drop the oilpan and investigate.

·
Super Moderator
17,901 Posts
You need to use a Mechanic's stethoscope and determine the sound area origination first. It may coming from the timing chain components where it may be tensioner causing per my previous post, or damage within.

What oil are you using and is the level check correct?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea the level checks out. I will change oil and filter and look for shavings before I start it again.
Honestly I am pissing my pants, it really doesn’t sound like the ‚startup-rattle‘ I am very familiar with and also doesn’t sound like a lifter which I have heard before on that car.
I don’t know if I will have luck finding the noise if it’s only for 1 or 2 seconds. I’ll try finding someone to turn the key for me.
But to me it looks like the noise is caused by initial low oil pressure.
I had nightmares all night of my bearings separating :eek:
The tensioner itself came from partsgeek and was good quality oem I believe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bought another car, that will give me enough time to find out what’s wrong with the suzuki - guess I have to peek inside.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Bottoms of lifters. . . .

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts