Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when i go to fill up with about 3/16 tank left and 240 miles on the tank that i can only put in a little over 11 gallon... specs say that the tank is 17.2 gallon i believe.. soo that means that if i were to let it go till the low fuel light comes on which i presume would be another 2 gallons at the most.. that after the fuel light comes on there is still about 4 gallon left in the tank. saying you get about 21 mpg which is what im getting on an average fill up that i can still go about 80 miles after the light comes on? seems like the light is a little premature. most of my other cars have about a 30 mile range after the light comes on.. has anyone else noticed this or have any input on the topic.. i would like to know more about it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mines the same. When the low fuel light comes on I can only get about 47 -50L into the tank (66L tank).
The gauge as a whole is best considered a rough guide, no more accurate than dipping a stick in a drum really.
I had a car years ago that had a very accurate gauge. The car would stop if the needle touched empty and the car was anything but level. Pain in the arse.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't count on using the last couple gallons in the tank. I did the same calculations as you and ended up running out of gas once. I don't think the in-tank fuel pump is able to extract the last bit of fuel.

These fuel pumps rely on a certain amount of fuel in the tank to keep cool. Running the tank low, especially in hot weather, can reduce the life of your fuel pump. I found this out the hard way in a couple GM vehicles. :whistling:

Jason

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The GV is an offroader...

If I was in the bush, and the light came on with 30 mile left, I would not be happy... or able to reach a service station...

Maybe that's why it comes on a bit early.

That being said, all my old Mazda's have always had about 60 miles left in them when the light came on. Maybe its a jap thing. Anywho, I like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts