Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've had my 2006 Swift M13A for a year now. The previous owner said he'd changed the alternator, but in spring the alternator stopped charging. I assumed he had bought a cheap refurbished one so I replaced it with a Magneti Marelli unit with a new battery (charged up) and it measured 13.8V (with fan on and low-beam on, probably managed 14.?V with it off as it should). Drove it for a while and it was fine.
Then I installed an LED high beam light bar along with brand new halogen bulbs (top shelf Philips lol) and a full stereo, but when I did the stereo (added a subwoofer and independently amplified speakers) and had cranked it a few times the car wouldn't charge enough. With the stereo and everything completely turned off it maxes out at 14V and as low as 13.2-.4V with shit on. Battery is never above 12.2 when I cold start it and I can hear the starter not having the power it used to have.
I've cleaned battery connections and measured ground and resistance in the positive lead and the conductivity is not a problem for the main leads. Maybe the inputs on the regulator? The connector looked clean.
I can accept that I might've fried the battery drawing to many amps, but a brand new alternator? The alternator pushes 70A as well and the stereo at maximum does 40A (490W) and my ex-mechanic bro said the same. No warning lamps.
I can still drive it, but I can't have high-beams and fan on max or it won't charge enough xD

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,254 Posts
Use an amp clamp and measure the current out of the alternator, then do a load test on the battery..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts