Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Jimny done 86k miles. As I drive at say 40 mph it will intermittantly suddenly start a really loud grinding noise that will stop if I stop the car and start again or sometimes if I cant immediately stop will stop as it bumps on the road. Sometimes theres a sort of clunk at the end of the noise?

Its getting a lot more frequent now. Whereas I could go for weeks without a problem (though to be honest I dont drive many miles in the jimny) it now seems to happen every journey. Going along fine when you hear a spinning grating noise that gets so loud that people stop in the street to stare at you. One chap said he thought car was going to blow up! As I say, if I pull over and stop and then start up again, no noise at all - til the next time.

Can anyone suggest please what this could be? I dont use the 4 x 4 gears as the jimny is used basically for ease of carrying my dogs and shopping about in a rural community.

Be really grateful for help as when I took it to garage they drove it and of course, it didnt happen at that time.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The most common cause of grinding noises is worn out brakes, can you determine whereabouts on the vehicle the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you for replying.

I dont think it can be the brakes as I dont have a problem with them and only just passed the latest MOT?

The sound seems to start off as a quiet whirring but when it really starts up its like a spinning grinding sound like a cement mixer, faster than the engine (my friend said that, I didnt notice )

It seems to come from centre front of the jimny. It sounds awful yet I brake, start up and its gone again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts