Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 Samurai and when I put it into 4 wheel drive it vibrates a little at first and gets worse the faster you go. When you hit about 30 mph and you let off the gas, there is a horrible clanking and grinding noise. I changed out the transfer case and I get the same noise from the new one. I checked all of my u-joints and they are good. The noise is the same with the hubs locked or unlocked. It does it in 4-hi or 4-lo. The grease under the hubs in the axles looked good and didn't have any metal shavings in them. I know it could be bearings, or ring and pinion, or unbalanced drive shaft but I was wondering if anybody has had this problem and what it turned out to be, or any quick ways to troubleshoot what it could be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I removed the rear driveline and drove it in 4x4 and it still makes the same noise. I had a new flange with a different u-joint in it for the front driveline and changed it out and still had the noise. Since I changed out the transfer case already, I suspect something in the front axle but I crawled under it with it jacked up and running in gear and the noise is coming from the transfer case. Maybe the sound can transfer up to the transfer case from the axle, I don't know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jacked up the motor and the transmission and it looks like all the mounts are bad. Could that make the bad grinding noise?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wow your quite the speed poster. sounds like you've ruled out the front hubs and the rear drive and the ujoints. are you sure that the front drive shaft is in phase. there should be two dots that line up on the two halves of the drive shaft. If they're out of phase they will cause a lot of shudder and clanking that will destroy the rubber mounts. The wrecked mounts are probably a result rather than a cause of the problem. I would suspect the front output shaft on the transfer case, but if you put in a new case then that probably isn't the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spare samurai I have for donor parts had the extra transfer case in it, but the front u-joint on the front driveshaft was toast, so maybe I have two transfer cases that need new bearings on the front output shaft. My original transfer case front output shaft looks good, no pitting or anything but it is the 6.5 to 1 gear ratio and I think I want to go back with the stock gear ratio. I still think it might be something in the front end or the angle of the driveline that is causing the noise.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
did you check to see if the two halves of the drive shaft are in phase with each other? If they aren't in phase then they will rattle around like crazy as the u-joints fight each other.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are no marks on the driveshafts, one has a white line but the other has nothing that I can see, not even the little dot punched in the end, they are lined up so that the yokes are faced the same way and the flanges are the same compared to the yoke. I have no idea if it is the right driveline or not because when I got it, it came with extra drivelines and one had bad u-joints so I took the best ones and replaced the u-joints in them and used them. Maybe I have a driveline that is way out of balance or something, I don't know. How would I get that checked?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the front driveline angle on the Sammi and the pinion side where it hooks to the front differential is a slight angle and the flange that hooks to the transfer case is at a very steep angle, would that be the culprit? Do I just roll the axle to try to get the angles more the same or get a cv joint for the transfer case end?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I think I know the problem. Last year the springs were sagging pretty bad so I changed them out with some spares I had and I took out the wedges that were under the springs to roll the axle. Problem is I found one and must have thrown the other one away or lost it. I guess I will have to re-do the whole front end alignment and springs and everything.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
sounds like the ujoints are phased correctly, You could get it ballanced at a shop, but that's probably not going to be a huge issue. Your geometry is a much more critical issue. If that's off then you could be putting way more stress onthe drive train than necessary. It will also affect your handling and stability.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been doing some reading and it sounds like the toyota cv shaft is what I need to solve the problem. Does anybody know what year of truck it comes off and what shaft do I need?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi mate

hi mate did u find out wat the noise was in the end? im having wat sounds like the same problem and iv just had the gearbox, transfer and diff rebuilt and still the noise is thereand my unis are fine also. any feedback u have would be greatly appreciated. pat

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a new transfer case and installed it, still same noise. I already had new u-joints on my driveline. I put another 1" spacer in the driveline and the noise got a lot better. It still does it but just a little now. I think it is because of the different angles of the driveline. The and coming off the transfer case is steep and the angle at the front diff is almost none. I ordered a toyota driveline with a cv joint in it but have not installed it yet because I am going to have to alter the crossmember to make it fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi racer37 wat size lift do u havemate? im waiting on some snake racing shims atm to try and better my shaft angles even tho i only have a 2 inch lift there isnt much else i can think of so hopfully chnaging the pinion angles may stop my noise its more like a grinding tho than a vibration is this so with yours? cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes mine was a bad grinding noise and it sounded like it was coming from the transfer case. I have a 6" spoa lift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so the spacers brought your splines on the shaft closer together, did it also change the angles? i should find out today if the shims there puttin in work they think theres to much downward force on the pinion causeing the noise well thats all they can think of anyway. appreciate the help

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I imaging it changed the angle a little, and it did make the slip part of the driveshaft a lot tighter with no so much play. I should probably just spend some money and get a custom driveline from low range offroad and be done with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate still had no luck after putting shims in noise is still there which ant no good donno Wat ill do next sick of pooring money into it tho.
thankx for your help appreciate it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just don't drive so fast in 4X4. No reason to go above 30 mph in 4X4 anyway, that is what I'm thinking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts