Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2004 suzuki xl7 4wd This is the passenger side to clarify. It was all lose in there, and also bone dry. 4wd drive doesnt work as well. hard for me find info on what this part is called (carrier assembly??) Can this be a straightforward replacement or will it be a headache for a mechanic? Im totally new to this, any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
See the top FAQ thread for the link to 4WD issues. It's all in there.

You're a candidate for a whole front axle swap, IMO. Just pick a used donor with the correct accompanying gear ratio. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See the top FAQ thread for the link to 4WD issues. It's all in there.

You're a candidate for a whole front axle swap, IMO. Just pick a used donor with the correct accompanying gear ratio. ;)
Unfortunately I'm much too car illiterate so I can barely follow that thread. What kind of man hours would it take to swamp out the front axle? Providing I am lucky enough to find one intact at a wreckers. Im just looking to see If I can fix this for a reasonable cost. Or else Ill just junk it.

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
M/HRs I would estimate 8. Shop rate where you are? I have no idea. You'll need to find a local Mechanic / Shop whom you can trust. Ask around. Car Show people are a good source for leads in that realm.

The same FAQ section has links to Wreckers / parts too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
M/HRs I would estimate 8. Shop rate where you are? I have no idea. You'll need to find a local Mechanic / Shop whom you can trust. Ask around. Car Show people are a good source for leads in that realm.

The same FAQ section has links to Wreckers / parts too.
Thanks for your help. Can you explain the damage in the images briefly if you don't mind?

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
Font Art Auto part Drawing Parallel

There appear to be several pieces missing ...

The gears you are seeing are contained inside the "differential assembly", which is item #7, there is a bearing (#27), a seal (#19) neither of which appear to be there, and I'm fairly certain the differential assembly included left & right case sides, the right side of which may also be missing.

What I find odd is that there is no way for the missing items to just "fall out", some one would have to remove the CV axle and possibly the side retainer (#16) - even the wear visible on the outside of the side retainer would suggest that the vehicle has been operated with VERY audible sounds of mechanical distress for MANY, MANY miles.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,123 Posts
The differential bracket should be just a swap with the one you have on the damaged diff.. Maybe you are thinking of a different part..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 106958

There appear to be several pieces missing ...

The gears you are seeing are contained inside the "differential assembly", which is item #7, there is a bearing (#27), a seal (#19) neither of which appear to be there, and I'm fairly certain the differential assembly included left & right case sides, the right side of which may also be missing.

What I find odd is that there is no way for the missing items to just "fall out", some one would have to remove the CV axle and possibly the side retainer (#16) - even the wear visible on the outside of the side retainer would suggest that the vehicle has been operated with VERY audible sounds of mechanical distress for MANY, MANY miles.
Am I blind because I can’t find the right side differential bracket in this image.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts