Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,
I have a Vitara JLX (registered 1999 in Iceland) and while 4WD driving on a bad road, I lost power to radio/cigarette lighter/clock. After hitting some particularly deep hole, they just went off. I had a 12V to USB converter inserted in the socket.

I still have power to all other systems and the fuses are ok.
Any suggestions on what I should look for? Does it makes sense to open up the dashboard and take a look at the cables? And how do I get in there?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Look for a loose wire. Can you get in there by removing the ashtray?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see two screws under the ashtray, I guess I can remove those and get in from there. I'll check. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
First, check your fuses - the radio and cigarette lighter run off the same fuse. The white/black wire runs from the fuse to a connector to the left of the steering column, and from there continues to a splice behind the center of the instrument panel. There it branches out to the radio and to the cigarette lighter - its the white/black wire all the way.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I see two screws under the ashtray, I guess I can remove those and get in from there. I'll check. Thanks.
So I gonna guess you found the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still looking in fact.

I found the cable running from the fuse box and getting in behind the dashboard. All seems fine there.

I removed the ashtray and there I find, on the right of the column, running down from the top, a corrugated pipe ending behind they ashtray, which branches into:
- a connector going to the cigarette lighter
- a loose connector of the same kind with very short cable
- a thick cable running up, on the left side of the column (I guess to the radio)

I can't see any other loose cable so far, besides the little connector. Anyway, since the cigarette lighter is also not working, the problem should be between the cables coming out of the corrugated pipe and the cables going in from the engine hood. Any thoughts?

I will have some time tomorrow to tinker a little more. I will try to remove the radio and see what's going on back there, but I don't have the keys (I bought the car with the radio already in, no keys included ;) ).

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,254 Posts
As a general rule, you cannot see electricity (much like air), so in order to find any defect you shall have to use some sort of tool (Meter)....

..... Philip

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,254 Posts
yeah, I know that ;)

I've just been looking for some loose/broken cable, or some physical damage
Waste of time, just guess work.

....... Philip)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You haven't said if you have a meter or test lite but you need to put one on the wire that connects to the back of the lighter to see IF there is power there. It could be that wire needs to be re-crimped - or it could be the lighted died.

In the states you can get a volt-ohm-meter for $10-20 at most auto parts stores, Walmart and the like.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts