Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 Samurai

I lost my key and need to get the key lock cylinder or ignition lock cylinder out.

How do I do that? Any special tools needed?

2nd question: Is it worth changing the motor?

It doesn't pass smog as previous owner installed headers, Weber carburetor and disconnect emissions parts.

In CA I can change the engine to a pre-'97 diesel engine (one that is CA compliant which means from a car that was legal to sell new in CA, 50-state car)

I am considering installing a VW diesel engine. I found a kit for $1000 and i would need the labor and to buy engine.

Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the responses. This group seems to be only a few people and only people who want to take free advice for repair instead of paying a professional.

FYI

I realized that the door locks and the ignition cylinder is keyed the same. I was wrong to think I had to remove the ignition lock.

When I called the locksmith for a price I was informed the key code can be found stamped on the passenger door lock cylinder.

Your local dealer may be able to give you a key code. I did not get a response from my dealer. Older vehicle are not supported by dealers and may not be of help.

That door lock cylinder is much simpler- remove inside door panel, disconnect linkage by removing c-clip holding linkage to lock cylinder, remove c-clip that holds lock cylinder in door, push lock cylinder out.

I only removed it because it was so easy and as insurance when I went to the locksmith. Key code may be able to be read with cylinder in the door after removing door panel.

Side note to saving money- prices may vary. Instead of going to the first locksmith I called 3. The 3rd person gave me a price of $18 vs the others $36. So I went and when I asked for a second key cut from the code she gave me both keys for $20 including tax cash. And only 1/2 mile away.

It pays to price compare.

Hope this helps somebody

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep in mind that a locksmith cannot make a key from a lock for every type of lock that exists. Some locks have specific features that deter using a lock to make a key, and it is nearly impossible to have a key made without having access to the original key.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts