Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my tracker aligned a few weeks ago and on the weekend i went offroading with some friends and now my steering wheel is at 11 oclock when going straight, i checked everything and everything looks good and solid. Does anybody have any idea what could have caused this?

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Any number of things from a severe hit (damage) to components loose, worn and needing replacement. Not much we can do from here. A concise inspection of the steering and suspension is in order I'm afraid. :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything in the front end is preaty much new, i replaced both ball joints/tie rods struts/control arms when i put my calmini lift on it a few weeks back, i checked the tire air pressure and everything is good, also i lifted the truck and checked for something loose in the front and everything seems solid.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Now go check for something bent - pay close attention to the drag link and idler arm mount.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
x2. I had a similar problem and found that my center link was bent - you need to physically inspect for bent parts, as well as thoroughly manhandling everything, confirming that there is no movement whatsoever with any of the parts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If I recall only one alignment adjustment can be done. Either camber or toe is that correct. I recall Ford pickups were like that also... and had to either have parts replaced or heated and re-bent to position.

·
Registered
200 Posts
x2. I had a similar problem and found that my center link was bent - you need to physically inspect for bent parts, as well as thoroughly manhandling everything, confirming that there is no movement whatsoever with any of the parts.

Did you hit something to bend the center link?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looked at everything again today, nothing seems bent or out of place, really don't get it....

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You can tell a lot by just looking.

Drive it straight and stop on a flat surface. Stand in front of the car and compare the front to rear wheels. Note how the tires sit. are they pointed straight forward? (Toe) How about straight up and down? (camber)

The most likely issue is toe. (The only actual adjustment.) This is the direction the wheels point. They should be SLIGHTLY toe in.

I have used string to check and adjust toe.

There are other less likely possibilities... I once clipped a parking lot bump stop (curb like cement structure) with the front sub-frame on a mini-van. It twisted the body just slightly, pushing one wheel back just over 1/2 inch. The result was just as you are describing. That said, I'd bet your problem is a bent center link.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Had my tracker aligned a few weeks ago and on the weekend i went offroading with some friends and now my steering wheel is at 11 oclock when going straight, i checked everything and everything looks good and solid. Does anybody have any idea what could have caused this?
Have you considered bringing it back to whoever did the alignment to check it?

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Did you hit something to bend the center link?
Nothing that I was terribly aware of, actually. I was kind of surprised to find it bent - I was replacing it as one of the bushings was gone, so the fact that the steering wheel was off a bit wasn't really noticeable, as there was too much play in the steering to begin with. I didn't notice that the center link was bent until I actually had it off the car.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
.. I didn't notice that the center link was bent until I actually had it off the car.
I bent a center link while removing it. maybe... :huh:

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Wow, you must be pretty strong - although I know first hand that they are a bugger to get off, from 20 year old cotter pins, castle nuts, etc. One side of mine, when all was off, was easy enough to bang off, but I had to remove the tire on the other side and get to the center link from the side. But I can't imagine actually banging that rod hard enough to bend it. Strong guy!!

Edit - actually, now that I think about it, mine was bent on the side that I couldn't get off...hmmmm....maybe I'm stronger than I thought.....;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you had a lift kit installed in the past, maybe when they aligned the front end they failed to tighten the Alignment Cam Bolt. With all the bounce from the off roading it could have changed the setting of front end. hdwright1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts