Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's a little background to this issue

Car ( Alto 2004 ) had recently been off-road following a collision . I have got it back on the road after repairing bodywork damage . Car had been off road for around 11 Weeks .

Car is now looking good, since repairing I have taken it for two test drives . THe first was fine , no serious issue for around 5 miles . Today however after around 8 miles of test driving , the car started misfiring and struggling around 2K revs when in any gear

My immediate thought was that this was a coil / spark issue . However after bringing the car home and sitting on drive , it revs comfortably in neutral - No misfiring . Why would it misfire only when accelerating in gear ? Would could it be a ignition/coil/spark issue if revving is fine in neutral ?

I am thinking maybe the petrol has caused some clogging in carb or perhaps something else . ANy thoughts or suggestions ?

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
It would be helpful if we knew what engine, and what market the vehicle was made for..

What type of fuel delivery (carb/FI) and what type of ignition (COP/cap and wire)

... Philip

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003 1.1 Alto Misfire on cylinder 4

Ok So I have an Update guys

I attached an OBD Reader and got a 'misfire on cylinder 4 error code' . Does anyone know which cylinder is cylinder 4?

I had checked the resistance on the coil packs , they seemed normal . I checked the Leads for continuity , they belled out ok also .

I have been led to suspect there could be a leak on the air intake manifold , or possibly a failing spark plug .

For the Record this Alto for the UK market year 2003/4 . I have attached a picture for us to identify its engine type

Here is the car :

·
Super Moderator
17,582 Posts
Does anyone know which cylinder is cylinder 4?
The furthest (last) one, looking from the crank pulley / belts (front) on the engine.

Change out the spark plugs for new, first off. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess Changing all four would be ideal , however at diagnosis stages I would rather just test with one . However if one stops the misfiring - I will replace all four

If I replace all four and it is still misfiring then I am tossing money needlessly

But thanks for the tip !

·
Super Moderator
17,582 Posts
If after replacing the plugs, scan and if you still have the #4 mis-fire, swap #4 coil with any other cylinder coil, run it, re-scan and see if the code follows the coil. IF so, you have found a bad coil. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
2003 1.1 Alto Misfire on cylinder 4

Good Idea

I did actually try swapping the coil packs , though didn't have a scan tool at the time . Though when swapping I did feel an obvious change in the misfiring . So you may be right about the coil pack

The strange thing is ; on the fluke meter , I compared resistance readings between the coil packs , and they read out the same :huh:

I will try this again with the scan tool anyhow:cool:

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
As you are adverse to throwing parts (I agree), swapping parts location as Max has suggested is the recommended basic diagnostics.

FWIW, coil resistance reading may not identify a bad or weak coil as the plug state and fuel drench also affect detonation..

Your code reader may give you direction, a LIVE DATA SCANNER would be better.

Using an Oscilloscope would definitely show the full story (wave forms)..

... Philip

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Misfiring

OK after swapping coils there were still some obvious misfiring , however the Car needed a drive in order for the car Computer to trigger a confirmed error ( still P304) , it took around 2 miles for the error to kick in after an initial unconfirmed/unverified random errors with a flashing engine light

So I changed the spark , now the car is purring again with all four cylinders . Thanks for the help guys .

Now I have to change the drum breaks cylinder ...

( new thread needed I think )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts