Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 1997 2ltr V6 Vitara and recently she has begun to play up.
She will loose power and then gain it again, even if the pedel is flat to the floor she doesn't give any power when lost, check engine light will come on.
If at a set of lights she revs go up and down and I there has been a few times where she has stalled.
Any ideas on this greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Yes!

You can tell us where you are and what maint has been completed on this vehicle...

Oh, what the heck, just give us all the info..... so we dont have to guess

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
x2 to Aqua's post.
Also, do you have a scanner? If you drive with the scanner connected, you will be able to see what the ECU sees when the check engine light comes on - unless it is only coming on when the idle gets extremely low, as I think it will normally go on at that point, as the computer thinks you are turning the car off. And when the car is ready to stall out, can you rev it up and get out of the stall??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
loss and gain of power.

Im in Sydney. The only real maintenance thats been done one the car is standard oil and filter changes. Petrol filter changes. Clutch replaced. The diff has been done but none of this has been done around the time the vehicle started playing up.
I don't have a scanner.

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
I am not tremendously familiar with the V6, although I assume that this car is still OBD1, so you should be able to get codes with a paperclip rather than a scanner....??? Maybe someone else here knows - the instructions for the 1.6L is here, just to give you an idea, although this will most probably be different for your car:
Check Engine Light
In any event, it is always a good idea to confirm the timing and tuning of the engine (as well as do them, actually, as part of your 'maintenance'). In order to ascertain what is really going on with your car, you need to start from the beginning, do a compression test on the engine to confirm engine timing, tune the car up properly, etc., so that when you have issues, you know that it is something other than the timing/tuning of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts