Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 Sami with 1.6 16 valve from 94 Tracker. Runs fine but dumps coolant from overflow only at highway speeds. Runs cool at low speeds and does not lose coolant. I have changed thermostat, radiator cap, and hoses and have new overflow tank, but problem persists. Took to mechanic to have tested for head gasket failure, but he says it passed the chemical test. Sometimes when the overflow fills up, it does not get sucked back to radiator after cool down. Sometimes it does get sucked back in. I am baffled and still suspect a head gasket leak. But no milkshake in oil or coolant. Small amount of smoke at tailpipe on cold startup, but smells of oil not coolant and goes away within a couple of minutes. No coolant leaks that I have been able to see. Any other suggestions would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Also, if worse comes to worse, any good sources for quality rebuilt 1.6 16 valves or someone to work on them in the North Central Illinois area. Thanks!

Zack

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, i experience some of the same symptoms you have outlined here on my 97 16v 1.6L tracker. the sniff test did NOTHING but i loose coolant and no visible leaks either. a good starting point is a compression test How to do compression test? try doing that and see what your results are

·
Registered
105 Posts
try flushing your radiator out with hydrocloric acid mixed with water the acid will eat all the sediment thats in there. i done it with mine and it runs cooler now

·
Registered
71 Posts
another place to check is timing. retarted timing will raise block temp. make sure vacuum is hooked up right , the diaphram and internal linkage is good .
squid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check the timing and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. Compression test will follow that. Are there any other tests to confirm or disconfirm a head gasket, cracked block, etc.?

Zack

·
Registered
328 Posts
After replacing my radiator, I had coolant going into the tank, but not coming out. Turned out to be the coolant recovery hose was not getting an air-tight seal, so the coolant would flow to the tank, but then air would get sucked back into the radiator. I put some hose clamps on the hose and it is working fine now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked timing and it was off a degree. Set to spec, problem persists. Have yet to figure out vacuum, etc.

Zack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts