Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a samurai and use it mostly for a daily driver 4 days a week and going in the woods when I can. My question is how reliable are they? I'm looking at a 88 mostly stock is there any common malfunction I should look for when shopping around? Any advice will help thanks
Al

·
Registered
264 Posts
My question is how reliable are they?
Al
Personally, I trust my Suzuki (3) far more than my other vehicles. Mostly, because they are a simple machine, with few electronic devices to go wrong. They are easy to diagnose problems and easy to fix.

Most of the used Samurai you run across, will have all the same problems. Cruise the various forums and most of these problems show up.
The stock carbs tend to be a problem, when they aren't working correctly.
Vacuum lines for the emissions systems, are usually in need of replacement cause most of the engine running problems.
Fuel gauge sending units are usually bad.
Transmission and transfer case shifter bushings cause shifting problems.
Poor electrical system grounds.
Leaking engine seals.
These are just a few that come to mind.

A lot of the common problems scare off unknowing buyers. If you have some mechanical ability, the majority of the quirks can be fixed simply and cheaply.
I'm always looking for another Samurai and look for those that are as close to stock as possible. It usually means that someone that doesn't know what they are doing, hasn't screwed something up yet.

There are a lot of used and new parts floating around for these old trucks. It makes repairing them and keeping them moving, an easy task.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts