Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my boss bought a 1987 Suzuki Samurai. See pics at bottom of post. Since I'm the office "handy guy" he has tasked me with installing a 2" lift on it. Now, I know my way around a wrench. Hell I recently installed my own nerf bars on my truck, and changed out the starter on my Dad's truck. But I've never attempted to install a lift kit on anything. And since this is an old vehicle, I'd rather not have to worry about taking too much of it apart.

What would be the easiest ways to lift this thing up a couple of inches? I've done a little research on body lift kits, but with all the parts in the pics, it looks like something that's a little more complicated than I'd like it to be. Removing too much on an old vehicle usually means it breaks something else. I'd rather this be something simple so there's less chances of me getting in over my head on this.

He just wants this as a farm/ranch vehicle. Something that won't be on the road at all, and will maybe get driven once a month, if that. So it doesn't have to be anything fancy. He also wants to get the widest A/T tires we can fit on it after the lift.

Just looking for a simple 2 inch lift. Something cheap and easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20190827_125550.jpg

20190828_115141.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts
You're already in deeper than you want to be - the easiest, cheapest and possibly worst approach to a lift is a shackle lift, which is going to make the vehicle quite unstable, so it's a probably a good idea to forget cheapest & easiest and do it properly - replace the springs & shocks, which are likely to set you (him) back more than he paid for the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're already in deeper than you want to be - the easiest, cheapest and possibly worst approach to a lift is a shackle lift, which is going to make the vehicle quite unstable, so it's a probably a good idea to forget cheapest & easiest and do it properly - replace the springs & shocks, which are likely to set you (him) back more than he paid for the vehicle.

What about the 3" lift leaf springs like the ones in this pic:

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 22.00.10.png

Will those do the trick? Taking off leaf springs and putting new ones on doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult. Is that all there is to it, or are there more components involved?

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts
You'll need springs and shocks, and the springs you're looking at don't come with bushings, so you'll need to get those, as well as probably new U bolts and a host of other finer bits & pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You'll need springs and shocks, and the springs you're looking at don't come with bushings, so you'll need to get those, as well as probably new U bolts and a host of other finer bits & pieces.
I think I have it narrowed down to either a shackle lift, or the add-a-leaf lift. He doesn't want to spend a ton of money on it, and I don't want to spend a ton of time on it, so those options seem the best way to go. I know you said a shackle lift would make it unstable, and I told him so. But he doesn't seem concerned since it will only be a two inch lift, and he plans on using the widest tires we can put on it to add stability. Maybe even add tire spacers to push the tires out even more. Any opinions on the add-a-leaf lift?

Also. What are commonly the widest tires you can get for an 87 samurai with a 1.5" to 2" lift?

Thanks for all your help btw.

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh my hell, some people worry about nothing and try to make it everyone's business!

I've had more Suzuki vehicles than I'd care to admit to, and have done all types of modifications to them. Hands down, the easiest and cheapest is a shackle lift. 2in is very easy to obtain and will allow you to go with 235/75/15 tires. Depending on how aggressive the tires are and how worn out your springs are, you may need to do some trimming of the bumper and gentle "massaging" of the inner fenders. The ride will be stiffer, your factory shocks may not be long enough, but its easy to do with even a Barbie tool kit and a jack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts